Set your phone to automatically save power by tapping Settings > battery saver. You can choose when you want battery saver mode to be activated. You know it is active as a little heart is appeared over the battery icon on the status bar at the top of the screen. When Battery Saver is on, your phone does not automatically receive mail and calendar updates, update some live tiles, or allow apps to run in the background.
In addition, you can try some of the tips below to help reducing the battery usage.
Ensure that your phone SW and apps are up-to-date:
- Check if there is new software available for your phone, on the start screen, swipe left, and tap Settings > phone update.
- Check that your apps are up-to-date: Go to Store. If there are updates available, tap Updates to update the apps to the latest versions.
Turn off services and functions that you do not use:
- Switch off location services: Tap Settings > Location services > Off.
- Switch off NFC: Tap Settings > tap+send, and switch NFC sharing to Off.
- Switch Bluetooth off: Tap Settings > Bluetooth, and switch Status to Off.
- Do not connect to Xbox LIVE: Tap Settings, swipe to applications, and tap games.
- Check what apps are running background tasks and block the ones you do not need to run on the background: On the start screen, swipe left, tap Settings, swipe to applications, and tap background tasks. Tap the app you want to block, and tap block.
- Do not connect to the Xbox Music cloud collection in Windows Phone 8: Tap Settings, swipe to applications, tap Music+Videos, and switch all relevant settings to Off.
- Close apps you are not using: Exit from the app by pressing the back key.
Change the frequency of certain events:
- Change your mail settings to retrieve mail items less frequently: On the start screen, open the mail account you want to modify, tap ... > Settings > sync settings and change the setting for Download new content.
- Set the screen to switch off after a short time: Tap Settings > lock screen (Lock+wallpaper), and change the setting for Screen times out after.
- Stop your phone scanning for WiFi networks: Tap Settings > WiFi (> advanced), and uncheck the Notify me when new networks are found check box.
- Lower screen brightness: Tap Settings > brightness > Level, switch Automatically adjust to Off, and select the level.
- Change the setting for Nokia Glance Screen in Windows Phone 8: Tap Settings > display+touch, swipe left to glance, and select Standby screen either Off, Peek or Timed.
- Use a WiFi connection rather than a mobile data connection to connect to the internet or set your phone to use 2G (GSM) network only: Tap Settings > mobile network (or cellular) > Highest connection speed.
- Always charge the battery fully: Tap Settings > battery saver > battery information.
- Use wired headphones rather than the loudspeaker.
If the battery keeps draining fast:
- Restart your phone by pressing and holding the Power and Volume Down keys simultaneously until the phone vibrates. Release and the phone will restart.
- The battery may be wearing out and require replacing.