If the battery is completely discharged, it may take several minutes before the charging indicator is displayed or before any calls can be made. In some cases where the battery is extremely low, one of the following tricks may resolve your issue.
If the tricks above does not help, you will need to contact your local Nokia Care. You can find details by clicking the Contact us link in the support pages of the Nokia website for your country.
If you face such issue, try the following:
1. Move closer to a WLAN access point to get a better WLAN signal.
2. If possible, try to create a connection with some other device that supports WLAN (to see that access point is really working).
3. Restart/reset the WLAN access point, and try to create a connection again.
4. If some manufacturer specific network mode (Turbo/Nitro/Super/Afterburner/108/SRX) is used, disable it and try the basic modes 802.11b/g/n.
5. Check that DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) is activated in the WLAN access point.
6. Set the WLAN access point to SSID visible mode (at least temporarily) to check that the Lumia phone finds your WLAN access point properly, and to prevent SSID typing mistakes.
7. On the router, remove the WLAN security settings temporarily, and try to create a WLAN connection from the phone without any security settings first. WPA2 (AES) is currently the strongest form of security offered by WiFi products, and is recommended for all uses, choose WPA2 with AES (do not use TKIP).
8. Check that you do not have MAC (Media Access Control) address filtering on in the access point settings. If your WLAN network uses MAC address filtering for security, you will need to know the MAC address for your phone, and then add it to the access list for that network before you can connect. To find the MAC address for your phone, do the following:
1. Press Start, then swipe left to the App list.
2. Select Settings > About > More Info.
3. Then note the MAC address.
9. If there are many WLAN access points nearby, try to use a different wireless channel in your WLAN access point. Select channel 1, 6, or 11 to optimize wireless performance.
10. Check if there is a software update available for your WLAN router.
11. If you are using a public WLAN access point, it is possible that all IP addresses are in use. Try to create a connection again later.
12. On your Lumia phone, delete non functioning WLAN access point (internet connection) and connect it again:
1. Disconnect the WLAN connection if connected.
2. Press Start, then swipe left to the App list.
3. Select Settings > WiFi.
4. Press Advanced at the bottom of the screen.
5. Tap and hold on the access point name and select Delete.
6. Now add the access point again.
7. On the Advanced screen, tap Add , type the network name in the Network name box, and then tap Add.
8. On the Sign in screen, type the password in the Password box, and then tap Done.
9. Tap the Back key once finished.
Many features in your Nokia Lumia phone increase the demand on battery power and reduce the battery life time. For example if the signal strength of the mobile network varies much in your area, your phone must scan for the available network repeatedly. This increases the demand on battery power.
You can set your phone to automatically save power when the battery charge level is low. To check the battery status, and switch battery saver mode on, go to Settings > battery saver. Windows Phone 8: To choose when you want battery saver mode to be activated, switch Battery saver toggle to On and tap advanced.
Note: When Battery Saver is on, your phone will no longer: automatically receive email and calendar updates, update some Live Tiles and allow apps to run in the background.
If you are listening to music or otherwise using your phone, but do not want to make or receive calls, switch airplane (flight) mode on under the Settings menu.
To save battery power, note the following:
Use network connections selectively
Anything else I need to know?
The instructions to save power on your Lumia phone presented on this video (English) from Nokia Care.
If the battery drains faster even there is no active feature or applications, try to switch off the power and then switch back on. The battery may also be worn out and needs to be replacing with a new one.
If you frequently make calls to automated systems that require an additional digit or extension to be dialed, with the following steps you can insert dialing pause into a contact's phone number.
|,||comma - Pause|
|(||open parenthesis - Area Codes|
|)||close parenthesis - Area Codes|
|X||letter x - No Function|
SMS centre number
Depending on your service provider, the SMS settings may have been automatically created in your device when you switching on the phone with the SIM card inserted. Your phone adopts settings from the SIM card and no actions are then needed. Alternatively, you may get a configuration message from your service provider in which case you can open the message and save the settings.
SMS delivery confirmation
If you want confirm that the SMS was sent successfully, with the following steps you can turn on SMS delivery confirmation:
SMS character set
This feature allows you send SMS with special characters. By choosing the reduced set, the special characters are replaced with standard characters so reducing the length of your SMS.
When you are typing the text message, tap on the Smiley face (next to the space key). Basically when you use one, it will show as the text input till it is sent then it should show up as the emoticon for your sent message and the receiver. Note: Messaging no longer supports conversion of ASCII sequences to graphical emoticons.
To view your IMEI number (15 digits) of your phone, dial *#06#.
If the phone does not switch on:
The Camera Extras application extends the Camera functionality on the Nokia Lumia devices. It allows you to take Panorama pictures, compose the pictures, take timed pictures, capture images in sequence and play the action from the images using a slider in post-capture. After updating the Lumia device to software OS version 7.10.8773.98 or later, you can install the application from Marketplace.
The Camera Extras contains the following features:
Note: Depending on the Lumia phone model, some restrictions may apply. The restrictions depend on certain phone specifications such as performance and the amount of memory. For example, you can only capture 3 pictures instead of 5 with the Panorama feature in Lumia 610.
Note: You can download and install the Camera Extras application from Marketplace to your Lumia phone (OS version 7.10.8773.98 or later).
If you know that certain update is available of your already downloaded app on your Windows Phone, these steps will explain how you can force an update.