What does the SkyDrive app do?
- With the SkyDrive app, you can copy your photos and contacts from your Symbian phone to the SkyDrive cloud.
- Later on, you can access your data using other SkyDrive-compatible devices, or online at www.live.com.
Why use the SkyDrive app?
- You can store the personal data on your Symbian phone on the cloud. The SkyDrive cloud is a secure data storage medium where you can access your data easily.
- When you get a Lumia phone, you can easily transfer all your data from the SkyDrive cloud to your new phone.
How to get data from your Symbian phone to the Microsoft cloud
Install the SkyDrive app using the Software Update app on your phone. The app is listed as ‘Upload to SkyDrive’.
Open the SkyDrive app, and sign in to Windows Live with your Windows Live ID, also called Microsoft account. If you don’t have an account yet, follow the instructions on your phone to create one.
Select the content you want to upload to the SkyDrive cloud.
Start the upload, and the content you selected is uploaded to cloud services:
- Your contacts to Windows Live People
- Your photos to SkyDrive > Photos > SkyDrive camera roll
Tip: You can also use Nokia Suite to sync your stuff to SkyDrive.
By default, to speed up the upload, your photos are downscaled to max. 719x719 resolution before upload, which affects their quality if, for example, you print them later. If you want to preserve the quality of your photos, you can change this setting in Settings.
Downscaled images cannot be updated to or replaced with full resolution images after you have uploaded them to SkyDrive.
Uploading large images over a slow network connection might impact on the overall performance of your phone.
Selected photos and contacts are uploaded to SkyDrive once only, even if you later remove them from SkyDrive.
If you change the details of a contact after uploading it to SkyDrive for the first time, not all changes may be updated. New contacts and changes in First Name, Last Name and Company are updated the next time you upload contacts.
How to get data from the SkyDrive cloud to your Lumia phone
Your contacts are automatically synced between the Windows Live People service and the People hub on your Lumia phone.
To automatically sync your photos between the SkyDrive cloud and your Lumia phone, on your phone, swipe left on the start screen, select Settings > backup > photos, and switch Automatically upload to SkyDrive on.
You can also see photos uploaded to SkyDrive in the Photos folder on your Lumia phone, and select and download the photos you want to your phone.