To lock or unlock the touch screen and keys, slide the lock switch (on right side of device).
When playing stereo audio with Symbian^3 devices to headsets or accessories with an own amplifier, the volume is controlled in the accessory. The volume keys in the phone can in this situation be used only for muting the audio but not for the volume control.
Note that the volume bars on the phone may still keep changing when using the phone volume keys but the actual volume is controlled only by the volume keys in the accessory.
Your Nokia device requests PIN (Personal Identification Number) and PUK (Personal Unblocking Key) codes to protect your SIM card and device against unauthorized use. Note that all PIN and PUK codes are provided by your network operator. Nokia is not able to provide you PIN or PUK codes.
Please note the following:
If you have forgotten or simply do not know the codes, you must contact your Network Operator for assistance. However, if you have already contacted but the code does not work, you should consider getting a new SIM card from your Network Operator.
PIN (Personal Identification Number) codes:
- PIN code protects your SIM card against unauthorized use. It is asked when you insert the SIM card and boot up the device for the first time. It is from 4 to 8 digits long and usually supplied with your SIM card. However, it is recommended to change the original PIN code to your own, the instruction on how to change the PIN code is provided in the user guide or Nokia Web site.
- PIN2 code is also 4 to 8 digits long and is supplied with some SIM cards, and is required to access certain services.
- If you enter any of the above PIN codes incorrectly three consecutive times, you need corresponding PUK codes to unlock them. Read more about PUK codes below.
PUK (Personal Unblocking Key) codes:
- PUK code is 8 digits long and is required to change a blocked PIN code.
- PUK2 code is required to change a blocked PIN2 code.
- The PUK codes are also provided by your network operator.
Restriction code / Restriction password:
- The restriction code or restriction password may be required when using some network services, such as call restriction service. Note that not all network operators support such service.
- If your device display "Enter restriction code" when you insert a new SIM card, it means that your device has been locked to use a certain operator's network and it does not accept SIM cards from other operators.
- Contact your network operator for assistance.
Other PIN codes:
- The module PIN is required to access the information in the security module of your SIM card.
- The signing PIN may be required for the digital signature.
Important! If you do not know or you have forgetten any of these codes above, always contact your network operator. Keep all the codes in a safe place separate from your phone.
Lock code / Security code / Password:
- These codes protect your phone from unauthorised use.
- The default lock code or security code supplied with the phone is usually 12345. For Nokia N9 and Lumia devices there are no default codes. It is recommended to specify the code of your own. The instruction on how to change the code is provided in the user guide.
- If you get error notifications after entering the code too many times incorrectly, reboot the phone and wait for 15 minutes, then try again.
- If the problem persists, contact your local Nokia Care Point. The contact information can be found from your local Nokia support web pages.
PAC (porting authorisation code) code:
- This code is used by some mobile network operators to facilitate mobile number portability. The code allows you to transfer your existing mobile phone number from one mobile phone network provider to another mobile phone provider so that if you change mobile phone networks you do not have to give everyone a new number. You can keep your existing mobile phone number.
These kind of messages are displayed in the following situations:
If none of the situations above apply and you continue to receive this error message, your SIM card may be damaged. Please contact your mobile operator or service provider. Or alternately, contact your local Nokia Care Point for inspection.
Many features in your Nokia N8 device increase the demand on battery power and reduce the battery life time. To save battery power, note the following:
It is recommended that you use the Nokia battery charger (AC-15) that was included in the sales package of your Nokia device. This charger is optimized for your Nokia device's battery.
Your device (e.g. Nokia N8-00, C6-01, C7-00, E7-00) has a proximity sensor which detects when the phone is close to your ear during a phone call and automatically locks the touch screen to avoid unintended actions, e.g. ending the call by mistake. The proximity sensor is located in the top right corner of the device (on the left side of the light detector and front camera).
If the touch screen is not properly locked during a call, check the following:
With phone software versions before Symbian Anna, the accented and special characters can be found by long pressing the Character Range key (key with label 1* or AB) on the touch screen QWERTY keyboard. Select the desired range of characters in the pop-up menu to view the available special characters.
In Symbian Anna (and later) long press the corresponding base character and select the accented character from the pop-up list.
Depending on the situation, proceed as follows:
A. Battery runs out (goes flat) in normal use and the phone turns off.
When the charger is connected to the phone and if it seems that the phone:
In this situation, repair the problem in the following way:
B. The battery has ran out (has gone flat) as the phone has NOT been in use for several days / weeks (i.e. the battery has gone totally empty).
When charger is connected to the phone, it may take several minutes before the charging starts and anything is seen on the screen. Do the following:
Applies for Symbian Anna and earlier software releases.
When pressing the power key and selecting Activate power saving, the device settings are optimised to save the power by adjusting e.g. the following settings:
To deactivate power saving mode, press the power key, and select Deactivate power saving.