Many features in your Nokia Lumia phone increase the demand on battery power and reduce the battery life time. For example if the signal strength of the mobile network varies much in your area, your phone must scan for the available network repeatedly. This increases the demand on battery power.
You can set your phone to automatically save power when the battery charge level is low. To check the battery status, and switch battery saver mode on, go to Settings > battery saver. Windows Phone 8: To choose when you want battery saver mode to be activated, switch Battery saver toggle to On and tap advanced.
Note: When Battery Saver is on, your phone will no longer: automatically receive email and calendar updates, update some Live Tiles and allow apps to run in the background.
If you are listening to music or otherwise using your phone, but do not want to make or receive calls, switch airplane (flight) mode on under the Settings menu.
To save battery power, note the following:
- Set your phone to check for new mail less frequently or even by request only. On the start screen, open up the email account you want to modify, and tap the three dots (...) in the right bottom corner of the inbox screen, and then tap Settings > sync settings and change the setting for Download new content.
- Some apps may run in the background unnecessarily. On the start screen, swipe left, tap Settings, swipe to applications and tap background tasks. Tap the app you want to block, and tap block. Especially Lumia 520, 620, 720, 810, 820, 822 and 920 users; please check that Nokia Drive+ Beta app is blocked (set to Off) in background tasks.
- Close the apps you are not using, to do that, press Back key. For example, when you are finished taking a picture, press the Back key to exit the camera viewfinder.
- Set the screen switch off after a short time, go to Settings > lock screen (Lock+wallpaper) and change the setting for Screen times out after.
- Lower the screen brightness, go to Settings > brightness > Level. Switch the Automatically adjust to Off and select the level.
- Nokia Lumia Amber Windows Phone 8: Change the setting for Nokia Glance Screen, go to Settings > display+touch. Swipe left to glance, and select Standby screen either Off or Timed.
Use network connections selectively
- Switch Bluetooth off when you do not need it, go to Settings > Bluetooth, and then slide the Status (Searching and discoverable) toggle to Off.
- Use a Wi-Fi connection to connect to the internet, rather than a mobile data (E, G, 3G, H+, 4G) connection.
- Stop your phone scanning for available Wi-Fi networks if those are not available, go to Settings > WiFi (Windows Phone 8: Advanced), and uncheck the box next to Notify me when new networks are found.
- Switch off location services if not needed – so the phone will not look up your location frequently in the background (Settings > Location services > Off).
- Use NFC on only when needed. To switch the tap+send feature off, go to Settings > tap+send, and switch NFC sharing toggle to Off.
- Switch off Connect with Xbox LIVE when you not need it, go to Settings, swipe to applications and tap games.
- Windows Phone 8: Stop your phone connecting to Xbox Music cloud collection go to Settings > Applications > Music+Videos, and switch all relevant settings off.
Anything else I need to know?
- Always charge the battery fully. Check Settings > battery saver > battery information. Note that older chargers may not fully charge the battery.
- Mute unnecessary sounds and functions, such as key press sounds and vibra. To do that, go to Settings > ringtones+sounds.
- Use wired headphones, rather than the loudspeaker.
- Make sure that your phone is running the latest software to get battery related improvements. Please check also that your phone apps are up-to-date.
The instructions to save power on your Lumia phone presented on this video (English) from Nokia Care.
If the battery drains faster even there is no active feature or applications, try to switch off the power and then switch back on. The battery may also be worn out and needs to be replacing with a new one.
How helpful was this to you?
Thank you for rating
Thank you for your feedback