Set your phone to automatically save power by tapping Settings > battery saver. You can choose when you want battery saver mode to be activated. You know it is active as a little heart is appeared over the battery icon on the status bar at the top of the screen. When Battery Saver is on, your phone does not automatically receive mail and calendar updates, update some live tiles, or allow apps to run in the background.
In addition, you can try some of the tips below to help reducing the battery usage.
Ensure that your phone SW and apps are up-to-date:
- Check if there is new software available for your phone, on the start screen, swipe left, and tap Settings > phone update.
- Check that your apps are up-to-date: Go to Store. If there are updates available, tap Updates to update the apps to the latest versions.
Turn off services and functions that you do not use:
- Switch off location services: Tap Settings > Location services > Off.
- Switch off NFC: Tap Settings > tap+send, and switch NFC sharing to Off.
- Switch Bluetooth off: Tap Settings > Bluetooth, and switch Status to Off.
- Stop your phone connecting to games: Tap Settings, swipe to applications, tap games, and switch all relevant settings off.
- Check what apps are running background tasks and block the ones you do not need to run on the background: On the start screen, swipe left, tap Settings, swipe to applications, and tap background tasks. Tap the app you want to block, and tap block.
- Switch off the Xbox Music cloud collection feature in Windows Phone 8: Tap Settings, swipe to applications, tap Music+Videos, and switch settings to Off.
- Close apps you are not using: Exit from the app by pressing the back key.
Change the frequency of certain events:
- Change your mail settings to retrieve mail items less frequently: On the start screen, open the mail account you want to modify, tap ... > Settings > sync settings and change the setting for Download new content.
- Set the phone screen to switch off after a shorter time: Tap Settings > lock screen (Lock+wallpaper), and change the setting for Screen times out after.
- Stop your phone scanning for Wi-Fi networks: Tap Settings > WiFi (> advanced), and uncheck the Notify me when new networks are found check box.
- Lower screen brightness: Tap Settings > brightness, switch Automatically adjust to Off, and switch Level to low.
- Change the setting for Nokia Glance Screen in Windows Phone 8: Tap Settings >glance, and switch Glance Screen to peek. To save power switch Glance Screen to Off.
- Use double-tap to wake up your phone only when needed: Tap Settings > touch, and switch Double tap to wake up phone to Off.
- Use a Wi-Fi connection rather than a mobile data connection to connect to the internet or set your phone to use 2G (GSM) network only: Tap Settings > mobile network (or cellular) > Highest connection speed.
- Always charge the battery fully: Tap Settings > battery saver > battery information.
- Use wired headphones, rather than the loudspeaker.
If the battery keeps draining fast:
- Restart your phone by pressing and holding the Power and Volume Down keys simultaneously until the phone vibrates. Release and the phone will restart.
- If your phone has profiles to other email accounts, they would impact the battery life. Delete and re-create your email profile on the phone (Settings > email+accounts). If this fails, switch your phone to flight mode and reboot. At this point you should delete your email profile, then turn off the flight mode and re-create your email. Apply this for the all stalled email profiles (Mail Account which is set as Microsoft Account on the device cannot be removed manually).
- The battery may be wearing out and require replacing.