LG Uplus, Nokia Networks trial Intelligent Network Platform in live LTE network
- Platform based on Nokia's Liquid Applications achieved up to 35% performance gain in content delivery
- Enables around 90% operating and capital cost saving in the mobile backhaul link
- Allows secure, faster access to enterprise networks via LTE
Seoul, Korea - LG Uplus has completed a three-month long trial of its Intelligent Network Platform (INP), realizing significant benefits: Up to 35% performance gain in content delivery with reduced latency for big objects of 10-30 MB. This means that mobile users save six seconds download time for a software package that usually takes 20 seconds to download. The trial also showed around 90% operating and capital cost saving in the mobile backhaul link, improved throughput, and a secure yet faster access to enterprise networks via LTE.
Nokia's radio technology, Liquid Applications and professional services* were used in the trial. CDNetworks, a global leader in the CDN space, also participated in the trial to evaluate the Liquid Applications' impact on its commercial CDN service offerings. With these results, LG Uplus will be able to launch even better personalized services on its LTE network.
"We want to take our customers' service experience to new levels while providing high quality video contents," said Jo Changkil, Vice President, Technology Development Center, LG Uplus. "With the strategic partnership with Nokia Networks, we will have an edge over the delivery of rich multi-media content and enterprise services. Nokia's Liquid Applications will create new revenue models outside the traditional telco areas."
"The successful trial of content delivery and Enterprise Zone proves the capability of Nokia's Liquid Applications to redefine the customer experience," said Dirk Lindemeier, Business Product Manager for Liquid Applications at Nokia Networks. "In conjunction with Nokia's AppFactory concept, an ecosystem of developers will drive fast application development and deployment, resulting in new services that can be introduced within very short timeframes. With this, LG Uplus can drive network-based service innovation."
Liquid Applications adds general-purpose computing, content storage, and access to real-time radio and network information, and makes the base station a hub for local service creation and delivery.
The LG Uplus INP is currently loaded with rich Liquid Applications features:
- Content Caching, which significantly reduces the latency and saves the bandwidth for delivering bandwidth-intensive video streaming by storing the contents close to the subscribers i.e. LTE base station. It also boosts downloading large files such as OS (operating system) updates or application installation packages.
- Video Optimization, which enables congestion-sensitive control over mobile traffic so videos can be streamed with a better Quality of Services (QoS), while guiding 'just in-time' downloading videos so the traffic of unwanted contents are not to be wasted.
- CDN Integration, which allows CDN service providers to benefit from all the above features by hosting their valued contents on the RACS. In this trial, CDNetworks joins forces so as to prove the effectiveness of extending its valued commercial networks to the mobile edge computing.
- Enterprise Zone, which allows enterprises to use LTE for their data connectivity across their campuses by providing faster and secure access to enterprise resources with enhanced QoS, mobility and manageability. It reduces the capital and operating costs for operators.
For more information on Nokia's mobile broadband capabilities, including a video overview, follow this link. To share your thoughts on the topic, join the discussion with @nokianetworks on Twitter using #mobilebroadband and #LTE. For expert insights, visit our blog.
About LG Uplus
LG Uplus Corp., Korea's leading telecommunication operator and an affiliate of LG Group, provides wireless and wireline telecommunications services. The company deployed Korea's first nationwide 4G LTE and All-IP network. LG Uplus's new vision is to be the World's best in "Beyond Telecom".
Nokia invests in technologies important in a world where billions of devices are connected. We are focused on three businesses: network infrastructure software, hardware and services, which we offer through Nokia Networks; location intelligence, which we provide through HERE; and advanced technology development and licensing, which we pursue through Nokia Technologies. Each of these businesses is a leader in its respective field.
Nokia Networks is the world's specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world's most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly. www.networks.nokia.com // http://company.nokia.com
Phone: +852 9747 5873
Phone: +358 7140 02869
* For the trial, Nokia Networks provided its Liquid Applications, Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station and its professional services including network planning and optimization, network implementation and system integration.
At Nokia, Liquid Applications redefines the mobile broadband experience at the edge of the mobile network. Applications, services and content are brought inside a base station close to the mobile subscriber. The subscriber is thus exposed to real-time network data which provides a fresh and exciting experience that is personal, relevant and local.
Liquid Applications stimulates new opportunities for operators to cooperate with other entities within the connected ecosystem. Operators and third party content can be hosted locally on the base station, with level of service guarantees for priority content such as video, mission-critical data or financial transactions. Liquid Applications has the added capability to apply real-time network data to create innovative services that take advantage of local points of interest, businesses and events.
Liquid Applications is a key component of Nokia's Liquid Broadband portfolio, which also comprises end-to-end Quality of Service (QoS) Differentiation and Operator Content Delivery Network. Taken together, this offering provides key capabilities to intelligently deliver personalized services to subscribers.