- 2G, 3G, 4G network expansion and modernization for fast data rates and superior voice quality
- First 4G launch based on LTE-A in Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya - Safaricom, Kenya's leading operator, selected Nokia Networks as one of its partners to modernize and expand its 2G and 3G network infrastructure and to help launch the first LTE-Advanced (LTE-A) network in Kenya. The network launched in December 2014 will offer peak speeds of up to 100 Mbps, which is more than twice the speed offered on 3G technology.
Fast down- and uplink, no buffering while streaming
Carrier aggregation is a key feature of LTE-Advanced, enabling operators to create larger, virtual carrier bandwidths for services by combining separate spectrum bands, thus boosting network capacity and speed as well as performance. Safaricom's customers will be able to download and upload files faster as well as enjoy buffer free audio and video streaming.
Safaricom will roll out 4G services in Nairobi and Mombasa first before introducing to major towns over the coming months.
Deal details at a glance:
- Core modernization with its ATCA-based Liquid Core portfolio for Mobile Softswitch (MSS) and Evolved Packet Core (EPC)
- Supply of compact Single RAN Advanced platform based on the high-capacity, scalable and energy-efficient Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station* for 2G, 3G and 4G technologies
- Supply and expansion of its Subscriber Data Management** solution
- Implementation of its cloud-ready OSS system NetAct
- Expert services including Network Planning and Optimization, Network Implementation and System Integration as well as hardware, software and competence development services
Bob Collymore, Chief Executive Officer, Safaricom, said: "This project marks an important milestone in our journey toward a modern and energy-efficient network that's capable of delivering world-class voice and data services to our customers. It clearly underlines our focus on having the most advanced network in Kenya."
Bernard Najm, Vice President and Head of Middle East and Africa, Nokia Networks, said: "With this ambitious network modernization, we provide Safaricom with the highest quality network in Kenya. Our cutting-edge solutions and services help Safaricom offer a truly rewarding service experience to its customers."
Did you know?
Safaricom was the first operator in Kenya to roll out mobile data services in 2003 on a 2G network, and was the first company in 2008 to launch a 3G network. Nokia is Safaricom's long-term and reliable partner since Day 1 of Safaricom's operations.
Click here for a photo of Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station used for 2G, 3G and 4G services.
- Blog: Nokia makes LTE-A CA faster everywhere
- Webinar: Grow capacity
- Datasheet: LTE
- Youtube: Nokia LTE-A Carrier Aggregation
- Insight newsletter: How to make LTE-A even more advanced
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: LTE, LTE-Advanced, Safaricom, Kenya, Nokia Networks
Safaricom transforms lives.
We provide voice, data, financial services and enterprise solutions for a range of subscribers, small businesses and government, using a variety of platforms. As the biggest communication company in East and Central Africa, Safaricom delights over 21 million subscribers, providing over 200,000 touch points for its customers and offering over 100 different products under its portfolio.
Listed on the Nairobi Stock Exchange and with annual revenues in excess of Kshs 100 Billion, Safaricom invested Kshs 27.78 billion in infrastructure this year, providing over half of Kenya's population with 3G coverage and providing 2G coverage to 90% of Kenyans. Safaricom has harnessed its proprietary fibre infrastructure to build a dedicated enterprise business which provides managed IT services to clients in the East African region.
Safaricom pioneered commercial mobile money transfer globally through M-PESA, the most successful service of its kind anywhere in the world. Launched in March 2007, M-PESA now has over 12 active million customers and over 80,000 Agent outlets countrywide.
Nokia invests in technologies important in a world where billions of devices are connected. We are focused on three businesses: network infrastructure software, hardware and services, which we offer through Nokia Networks; location intelligence, which we provide through HERE; and advanced technology development and licensing, which we pursue through Nokia Technologies. Each of these businesses is a leader in its respective field.
Nokia Networks is the world's specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world's most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly. http://networks.nokia.com/ // http://company.nokia.com
Phone: +91 95388 90288
Phone: +358 7140 02869
Phone: +254 721 676543
* Nokia's award-winning, multi-technology, compact, modular and weatherproof Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station supports the market-leading platform throughput of 10 Gbps. The product is based on the company's successful Flexi Multiradio BTS platform introduced in 2007, enabling innovative, high-capacity and energy- efficient base station sites. It boasts an 80% reduction in power consumption compared to a traditional cabinet based site. Close to 300 operators use our Flexi Multiradio and Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Stations globally.
** Nokia's Subscriber Data Management (SDM), including One-NDS and New Technology Home Location Register (NT-HLR), is a central entity for mobile communication networks. It hosts all relevant subscriber information as well as network and mobility application information needed to allow a completely seamless communication in GSM, 3G and LTE networks worldwide. SDM architecture is based on the concept of separating application service logic (dataless NT HLR front end) and application data (One-NDS). Because of this architecture, the solution scales flexibly and is highly reliable, providing new value added functionalities for operators.