- New software unleashes uplink capacity and hence reduces operator costs
- Centralized RAN available on more frequency bands to optimize subscriber experience at the busiest venues
- Improved interference cancellation boosts uplink up to 30% and reduces interference and signaling overhead
Espoo, Finland - 24 February 2015
Nokia Networks has launched new Liquid Radio software features that make Centralized RAN more appealing than ever with higher uplink capacity and simplified operability. New Liquid Radio features accelerate uploads and response times on 3G networks, helping minimize the need for operator site visits and drive tests.
Nokia Centralized Radio Access Network (RAN)* is more versatile than ever, now supporting double the number of LTE frequency bands and bandwidth (15 MHz and 20 MHz for FDD) for better performance and to meet operator demand for the Centralized RAN solution.
The improvements introduce clever baseband interworking and the benefits of "liquid" cells to operators, boosting uplink throughput by using all their spectrum assets and supporting users as they move between cells. Meanwhile, network management and maintenance are simplified to reduce network operating costs.
Three new software features in Nokia's Liquid Radio WCDMA Software Suite at a glance:
- Interference Rejection Combining (IRC) Receiver reduces inter-cell and external interference. This complements Nokia's Enhanced HSUPA Interference Cancellation feature that already protects against intra-cell interference improving uplink throughput by up to 60%. Interference Rejection Combining Receiver improves uplink throughput by up to 30% depending on the amount of external interference.
- Advanced HSUPA Time Division Scheduling makes uplink transmission more effective and reduces interference and signaling overhead with up to 20% uplink throughput gain and to support more users.
- Flexi Multiradio Base Station Antenna Rx RF Sniffing automatically detects, classifies and locates interference and passive intermodulation (PIM) to determine how much the base station's transmission channel is disturbing the receive channel. This allows an operator to address any issues before the customer experience degrades, avoiding unnecessary site visits and drive tests.
- The new features will be shown at the Nokia Experience Center, Hall 3, Stand 3B10
These new features complement Enhanced HSUPA Interference Cancellation that already protect against intra cell interference. In combination with Dual Cell HSUPA (which doubles uplink data rates to up to 11.5 Mbps) and High Speed Cell FACH (which handles small data packets more efficiently, reduces signaling and improves device battery power savings), they deliver the highest upload capacity for subscribers.
Did you know?
More than half the world's 1.7 billion** WCDMA/HSPA subscribers are served by operators using Nokia's radio infrastructure.
Nokia's Centralized RAN solution embraces the interference experienced in over 250,000 stadium seats throughout the world by turning it into useful traffic, achieving an incredible 2-3x average uplink throughput gain -something quite different from the traditional systems seen today.
Click here to download a Nokia Networks Liquid Radio infographic.
To follow all our MWC 15 launches, visit www.networks.nokia.com/performance.
- Whitepaper: Enhanced Cell_FACH raises operator revenue generating potential
- Nokia Liquid Radio Software Suites Executive Summary
- Nokia Centralized RAN Executive Summary
- Nokia Liquid Radio Executive Summary
- Awards for Centralized RAN:
- Liquid Radio portfolio
- Centralized RAN portfolio
- WCDMA/HSPA portfolio
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: LTE-A, LTE Advanced, Liquid Radio, WCDMA, HSPA, Centralized RAN, Interference cancellation
Nokia invests in technologies important in a world where billions of devices are connected. We are focused on three businesses: network infrastructure software, hardware and services, which we offer through Nokia Networks; location intelligence, which we provide through HERE; and advanced technology development and licensing, which we pursue through Nokia Technologies. Each of these businesses is a leader in its respective field.
Nokia Networks is the world's specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world's most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly.http://networks.nokia.com/ / http://company.nokia.com
Phone: +358 7140 02869
* Nokia Centralized RAN is aimed at venues with ultra-high subscriber density where congestion is caused by users uploading pictures and videos. The solution turns the interference between multiple cells into useful traffic, improving uplink performance by 250% on average and by up to ten times at the cell edge.
** Source: GSA, January 2015