New Nokia Networks service uses advanced 3-D geolocation to cut handovers by up to 20%, boosting performance #MWC15
- Pilot projects with major North American operators show up to 20% efficiency gains
- Service eliminates unnecessary handovers that could cause poor subscriber experience
- Services for HetNets tackles growing complexity as networks go ultra-dense
- Innovative site solutions open up new possibilities for small cell deployments
Espoo, Finland - 24 February 2015
A new Nokia Networks' service reveals how complex, multi-technology (2G, 3G, LTE and Wi-Fi) networks are being affected by devices and the apps they use. This information now allows service experts to recommend ways to reduce the number of unnecessary handovers between different radio access technologies and layers. Pilot projects with major North American operators show that such handovers can be cut by up to 20%, improving network efficiency and boosting customer experience.
Nokia Multi-layer Optimization service uses proprietary tools to analyze large amounts of data from multiple sources, including 3D geolocation measurements.
With this in-depth information Nokia Networks experts can simulate network loading accurately and predict how device and app behavior may impact network performance in the future. This 'heads up' also allows operators to proactively correct issues before they arise.
Nokia is also making other advances to enable efficient HetNets. HetNet Evolution Consulting service helps operators to deal with growing complexity and guide them to the best and most cost efficient options as they evolve towards ultra-dense networks.
To assure Small Cells availability, Nokia's Nano Battery Backup Unit is the industry's smallest, weighing only 5kg, allowing discrete installation and can be recharged by solar power, an option not available on any comparable unit.
New Services for HetNets in detail:
- Nokia Multi-layer Optimization service is suitable for multivendor networks.
- HetNet Evolution Consulting advises operators on spectrum, traffic steering and capacity expansion strategies, guiding them to the lowest Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
- Nokia site solutions ensure and ease the deployment of small cells by providing essentials such as shelter, power and backhaul connectivity for a range of different deployment scenarios such as lamp posts, building façades and advertisement hoardings.
- A dedicated small cell enclosure hides all the components of a site including access point, power supply, battery back-up and antennas. The appearance of the enclosure can be modified so that it looks identical to a nearby lamppost or wall.
- Nano Battery Backup Unit maintains a small cell's operation should its power supply fail, which is a mandatory requirement in some markets.
- A new feature from Nokia's 3-D geolocation service will help operators to profile traffic hot spots to identify the best locations for small cells.
- A host of additions to Nokia Flexi Zone will also support operators as they scale up small cell deployments towards ultra-dense networks (UDNs).
- Services for HetNets will be shown at the Nokia Experience Center, Hall 3, Stand 3B10.
Did you know?
Mobile networks are becoming increasing complex, with some operators having more than 10 separate layers, including 2G, 3G, LTE and WiFi.
Click here to download a Nokia Networks' graphic.
To follow all our MWC 15 launches, visit www.networks.nokia.com/performance.
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: Services, HetNets, ultra-dense networks, small cells, consultancy, LTE, handovers
Nokia invests in technologies important in a world where billions of devices are connected. We are focused on three businesses: network infrastructure software, hardware and services, which we offer through Nokia Networks; location intelligence, which we provide through HERE; and advanced technology development and licensing, which we pursue through Nokia Technologies. Each of these businesses is a leader in its respective field.
Nokia Networks is the world's specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world's most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly.http://networks.nokia.com/ / http://company.nokia.com
Phone: +358 7140 02869