Nokia Networks smart location experiences place you in the center of personalized services #MWC15
MWC Press Blockbuster
- Real-time network data helps tailor content delivery based on user location and available network resources
- Location, application and device intelligence improve capacity management and network performance up to 50%
- Car sensors and real-time information enhance driving from the pre-trip planning stage to the last-mile navigation
Espoo, Finland - 26 February 2015
Nokia Networks' smart location experiences help people connect, interact and get the most out of their surroundings. Content delivery providers are equipped with a better knowledge of the mobile environment to improve download speeds and reduce network load while learning more about the user activity in specific locations.
Operators will be able to offer efficient content delivery to mobile users, as well as tailored services related to nearby points of interest based on insights gained from their subscription packages and device type as well as network data on traffic patterns, building types and other location information.
Solution details at a glance:
- Nokia Liquid Applications' throughput guidance helps content providers optimize their transmission policy to reflect dynamically changing network resources in real-time. This improves resource utilization in mobile operator's network. YouTube has successfully conducted lab tests of the throughput guidance technology, with initial results showing improvement in network utilization and application quality of experience.
- Congestion detection from Nokia's Liquid Applications notifies upstream content providers and mobile device clients as to the most efficient time to fetch subscriber content based on real-time cell load information. Akamai, a leading content delivery network (CDN) and cloud computing services provider, is currently testing congestion detection as part of their Predictive Video over Cellular (PVoC) optimization solution for mobile networks.
- Nokia smart location experience optimization service provides up to 50% increase in video streaming speeds for consumers based on insights on how applications utilize network resources.
- HERE is transforming the way we interact with our vehicle through powerful and flexible in-vehicle navigation systems that provide real-time warnings and contextual services for the entire journey.
- Demonstrations of these technologies will be available at the Nokia Experience Center (Hall 3, Stand 3B10) at the Mobile World Congress 2015, in Barcelona, Spain, March 2-5.
Dirk Lindemeier, Head of Liquid Applications at Nokia Networks, said: "We are now able to provide completely new insights into the dynamically changing performance of mobile networks, to improve content delivery efficiency and increase network performance. It is important for operators and content providers to keep up with the increasing demand for localized, data-intensive content that users want to receive with the fastest possible speed to their devices."
Lior Netzer, Vice President and General Manager, Emerging Mobile Business Unit at Akamai, said: "Akamai's PVoC video optimization solution is being designed to work with Nokia's Liquid Applications to intelligently deliver video content at the most optimal times across the mobile network. It makes use of radio context information to initiate video downloads and pre-position content on the mobile subscriber's device, enabling high quality media experience. Having insight into the real-time capacity levels of the cellular network can result in more efficient utilization of mobile networks."
Smart location experiences build upon a number of Nokia's assets, including Liquid Applications, map and navigation technology from HERE, and its Global Services expertise. Nokia is also a member of the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) Industry Specification Group (ISG) for Mobile Edge Computing (MEC), which is creating an open environment for its Liquid Applications' capabilities within multivendor networks.
Did you know?
According to Nokia's Technology Vision 2020, mobile users will consume up to 1 GB per user per day of personalized data when we reach the year 2020. With enhancements in network and device technology, it is possible to deliver this amount of data profitably without compromising on user experience.
Click here to download a picture to illustrate smart location experiences.
To check our Mobile World Congress launches, visit www.networks.nokia.com/performance.
Spotlight press release: Nokia Networks shifts network optimization focus to apps and devices #MWC15
Whitepaper: Nokia Networks Intelligent base stations
Video: Liquid Applications
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: Smart location experiences, location services, HERE, Liquid Applications, mobile edge computing, MEC group, vehicle sensors, location intelligence
Nokia invests in technologies important in a world where billions of devices are connected. We are focused on three businesses: network infrastructure software, hardware and services, which we offer through Nokia Networks; location intelligence, which we provide through HERE; and advanced technology development and licensing, which we pursue through Nokia Technologies. Each of these businesses is a leader in its respective field.
Nokia Networks is the world's specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world's most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly. http://networks.nokia.com/ // http://company.nokia.com
Founded in February 2005, YouTube allows billions of people to discover, watch and share originally-created videos. YouTube provides a forum for people to connect, inform, and inspire others across the globe and acts as a distribution platform for original content creators and advertisers large and small.
YouTube is a Google company.
Akamai® is the leading provider of cloud services designed to help enterprises deliver the best online experiences on any device. Built on the Akamai Intelligent Platform(TM), Akamai solutions make the Internet fast, reliable and secure and are supported by unmatched expertise and visibility. Akamai removes the complexities of connecting the increasingly mobile world, supporting 24/7 access to online business and entertainment and enabling enterprises to leverage the cloud. To learn more please http://www.akamai.com or blogs.akamai.com, and follow @Akamai on Twitter.
Phone: +358 7140 02869