- Modernization contract strengthens Nokia Networks' leadership in GSM-R market and highlights commitment to GSM-R technology evolution
- Upgraded rail communication system will enable safer, reliable train travel in Greece
Athens, Greece - 7 May 2015
Nokia Networks will upgrade the GSM-Railway (GSM-R*) core network for Greece's national railway operator, OSE, laying the foundation for future network expansion. The modernized communication system will increase the operational efficiency of the Greek national railway, which will provide safer, reliable train travel in the country.
The GSM-R solution from Nokia Networks provides more reliable communications than older analogue systems for railway operators and train drivers across national and transcontinental journeys while also enabling the transmission of rail maintenance data in real-time.
With the advanced communication network, railway operators can reduce operational costs, improve safety and ultimately offer more dependable travel services for passengers.
Deal details at a glance:
- Includes GSM-R core network, Subscriber Data Management products One-NDS (Network Directory Server) and NT-HLR (Home Location Register), and NetAct 8 network management solution
- Turnkey responsibility for network planning, end-to-end system integration and implementation
- Ensures compatibility with European railway communication system requirements and enables future network technology evolution
Ioannis Dimitriou, President of ERGOSE, GSM-R Committee, said: "The GSM-R core system modernization will provide future expandability to meet new European requirements, more up-to-date services to train drivers and traffic controllers as well as assure the maintainability of the system in the long term."
Athanasios Exarchos, Country Director at Nokia Networks Greece, said: "This modernization project will put in place a system for future expansion and integration for ERGOSE. With this deal, we are not only getting a clear trust message from our customer, we are confirming our position as the leading company in the railways business."
Did you know?
Nokia Networks is the market leader in GSM-R technology with 29 GSM-R networks deployed globally, covering 70,000 kilometers of railways. GSM-R markedly improves the security, reliability and safety of rail services. In addition, network geo-redundancy allows for uninterrupted communication over the GSM-R network in the event of emergencies or natural disasters.
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: GSM-R, GSM-Railway, train, railway, safety
Nokia invests in technologies important in a world where billions of devices are connected. We are focused on three businesses: network infrastructure software, hardware and services, which we offer through Nokia Networks; location intelligence, which we provide through HERE; and advanced technology development and licensing, which we pursue through Nokia Technologies. Each of these businesses is a leader in its respective field.
Nokia Networks is the world's specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world's most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly. http://networks.nokia.com// http://company.nokia.com
Phone: +33 6 03 79 30 86
Phone: +358 7140 02869
* Global System for Mobile Communications - Railway (GSM-R) is a proven digital platform that is now the standard for railway-specific voice and data operational services on five continents including Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and South America.