- Nokia Networks is a supplier for Indonesia's first TDD-FDD LTE network and future implementation of virtualized Evolved Packet Core (EPC) solution
- Unmatched service experience to subscribers
- State-of-the-art agility and automation in the network
Jakarta, Indonesia - 10 September 2015
PT Smartfren Telecom Tbk ("Smartfren") has deployed Nokia Networks' industry-leading LTE technology to enable the launch of Indonesia's first TDD-FDD LTE network. The operator is also going to benefit from the flexibility of telco cloud with virtualized EPC in the future. This marks an important step in building a future-ready communications infrastructure in the country, and places Smartfren's network strategy on par with the most advanced operators in the world. With the new network, subscribers can already enjoy a wide range of data-intensive services such as multimedia streaming, online games, cloud storage and video conferencing.
Under the contract, Nokia Networks deployed the network in 11 cities across Western Indonesia, including Jakarta, the state capital, utilizing both TDD and FDD spectrum frequencies right from the start of the project. Nokia Networks' Flexi Zone small cell solution was deployed for optimized indoor coverage. Nokia Networks core, radio and services expertise ensured successful network implementation. In the next phase, Nokia Networks will deploy its virtualized EPC for increased flexibility and agility in the network.
Smartfren's large-scale investment in the latest technologies opens the door to new business models, contributes to the economical development of the country and creates new competence development and job opportunities for Indonesians.
Overview of Nokia Networks' solutions and services that powered Smartfren's network:
- Virtualized Evolved Packet Core* (EPC) solution, including Flexi Network Server (NS) and Flexi Network Gateway (NG).
- Software to aggregate TDD and FDD LTE spectrums for better network performance and increased throughput.
- NetAct, a virtualized network management system, for effective and consolidated monitoring and optimization of Smartfren's LTE-A network.
- iSON Manager, a centralized Self Organizing Networks solution to optimize Smartfren's network efficiency.
- Turnkey project for network planning and optimization, design and implementation services.
Paul Hodges, CEO, Smartfren, said: "Smartfren is proud to officially launch the widest and most reliable 4G LTE service in Indonesia. 4G LTE-Advanced will enable our customers to enjoy improved multimedia streaming, online games, cloud storage and video conferencing. Smartfren is committed to bring the best of 4G LTE technology to Indonesia to deliver not only higher speeds but a more stable and reliable 4G LTE experience. This is in line with our Mission, 'to enrich customer's lives through innovative products and services enabled by the widest and most reliable 4G LTE network in Indonesia' ".
Christian Daigneault, CTO, Smartfren, said: "Smartfren is deploying the most advanced LTE technology together with the support of Nokia, using hybrid TDD/FDD to achieve the highest speeds with TDD at 2300 MHz and the widest coverage and better in-building penetration with FDD at 850 MHz. This combination allows Smartfren to offer the widest and most reliable LTE Advanced service for Indonesians".
Dharmesh Malhotra, Head of Indonesia, Nokia Networks, said: "Smartfren's investment in the new LTE-Advanced network with broadband and broadcast capabilities marks a key milestone in Indonesia's telecommunications industry. The operator is also taking an important step towards telco cloud with the EPC virtualization. We at Nokia Networks are proud to support the operator in its initiative to bring world-class connectivity and services to Indonesian subscribers."
Did you know?
Nokia Networks offers a fully virtualized Liquid Core portfolio in line with the ETSI NFV guidelines and architectural principles. This mobile and fixed core portfolio for the cloud is supported by the Nokia Cloud Application Manager for managing virtualized applications in the telco cloud. Furthermore, the Nokia NetAct Operations Support System ensures seamless operation across virtualized and non-virtualized network elements.
- Brochure: Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station
- Brochure: Nokia Flexi Zone
- Press Release: Nokia Networks scales up LTE-Advanced for dense networks #MWC15
- Video: Nokia Single RAN Advanced. The future just got simpler
- Web page: Long Term Evolution (LTE)
- Web page: Telco cloud
- White Paper: TDD and FDD co-existence in LTE: synergies and enhancements
Connect with Nokia Networks:
- Subscribe to receive our product news alerts
TAGS: TDD,FDD, Carrier Aggregation, LTE-A, Indonesia, telco cloud, network functions virtualization, NFV
By focusing on the human possibilities of technology, Nokia embraces the connected world to help people thrive. Our three businesses are leaders in their fields: Nokia Networks provides broadband infrastructure, software and services; HERE provides mapping, navigation and location intelligence; and Nokia Technologies provides advanced technology development and licensing.
Nokia Networks, which provides broadband infrastructure, software and services, operates at the forefront of our industry. From the first ever call on GSM to the first call on LTE, we have set the pace of innovation, a record that continues with future technologies such as 5G. Together with our operator customers, who serve close to 5 billion subscribers, we are embracing the opportunity of the connected world and helping to solve its challenges.
Phone: +852 9747 5873
Phone: +358 (0) 10 448 4900
* Nokia's Evolved Packet Core (EPC) solution consists of Flexi NS (Network Server) and Flexi NG (Network Gateway). It has unique 4D-scaling capabilities that help operators prepare for mobile broadband growth in four dimensions: data throughput handling to accommodate data traffic explosion; signaling capacity to deal with smartphones; a large number of data sessions for multiple data connections per subscriber; and service intelligence for operators' revenue and resource optimization. Among our EPC customers are leading operators such as NTT DOCOMO and T-Mobile USA.
** Nokia Flexi Zone enables operators to increase capacity by deploying clusters of access points in hot spots and zones. The award-winning Flexi Zone is an LTE/3G/Wi-Fi-capable solution which complements macro networks with an underlay of small cells at the street and indoor level. This provides significant performance benefits, macro co-existence, traffic offloading, simplified backhauling and low O&M impact so that operators can provide a remarkably rich customer experience in urban capacity problem areas while keeping the total cost of ownership much lower than traditional small-cell deployments.