- Nokia leverages Internet of Things and Cloud technologies expertise to implement smart city applications and improve services for Jeddah residents
11 April 2016
Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia - Zain KSA and Nokia have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to collaborate on a major initiative that will transform Jeddah, one of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's (KSA) largest cities, into a model for smart cities in the country and worldwide by 2018.
Under the MoU, Nokia and Zain KSA will apply advanced networking technologies in the Internet of Things (IoT) and the Cloud to connect and manage a wide array of devices, vehicles, homes and applications. Use of these technologies will improve municipal services, enhance the business climate in Jeddah and create a better quality of life for the city's nearly three million residents.
Zain and Nokia will also employ advanced network and customer experience management tools to ensure smooth and seamless operation across the objects and locations. To ensure privacy and fulfill public safety requirements, the companies will place a strong focus on the reliability and security of the network.
Over the course of this two-year plan, the companies will enhance the network capacity, accessibility and efficiency of Zain KSA's mobile broadband network in Jeddah, eventually leading to 5G access, while also expanding the utilization of small cells and Wi-Fi to ensure continuous connectivity throughout the city.
Sultan AlDeghaither, Chief Technology Officer, said: "Jeddah is the second biggest city in Saudi Arabia - and thanks to our collaboration with Nokia, it will also be a smart city. Introducing IoT to all walks of life is a top priority for Zain KSA, and Nokia's Smart City solutions will provide us with a framework for enriching the lives of the people in Jeddah."
Ali Aljitawi, Head of Zain KSA Customer Team at Nokia, said: "The world is becoming more urbanized, with exponentially more connected devices. For every device connected to the Internet today, 10 more will join it in the near future. Through IoT and smart city concepts, we can automate our lives by connecting mobile devices to appliances, lights, roadways and just about everything - a shift that will improve efficiency and enable economic, social and environmental sustainability. We believe that the Jeddah Smart City concept can be a model for smart cities not just in the Kingdom, but across the region and the world."
- Press release: Nokia helps network operators and enterprises develop new IoT revenue streams
- Press release: Nokia launches first all-in-one centralized security configuration, monitoring and analysis system for operators
- Press release: Nokia AirScale launch ushers in a new age of cloud-based Wi-Fi for service providers
- Press release: Nokia identified as No.1 vendor of 4G public safety technology by Current Analysis in global study of 100 operators
- Press release: Dubai government security networks operator Nedaa selects Nokia to deliver next-generation network for mission-critical and smart city services
Connect with Nokia Networks:
- Subscribe to receive our product news alerts
TAGS: Smart Cities, IoT, Government, Public Safety
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. http://nokia.com
Phone: +971 529 823 406
Phone: +358 (0) 10 448 4900
Khalid Abdullah Mohammed
Zain KSA - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Phone: +966 5924 11490