Espoo, Finland - Nokia today announced that Swisscom has deployed the Nokia 5910 Video Services Appliance (VSA) to deliver its groundbreaking Swisscom TV 2.0 service, including 4K Ultra High Definition, to subscribers - the largest digital TV customer base in Switzerland.
The 5910 VSA includes Fast Channel Change and Retransmission. Fast Channel Change reduces the time to change channels to less than one second, while Retransmission prevents video and audio distortion to give viewers a sharpened picture with crystal clear sound.
The 5910 VSA is middleware independent, and operates across a wide range of access technologies and digital rights management systems. It is capable of handling Standard Definition, High Definition and 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) channels.
Swisscom's more than 1.3 million IPTV subscribers already benefit from Nokia Fast Channel Change, and they will now be able to enjoy the same superior experience when live UHD streams become available.
- Swisscom AG is a major telecommunications provider in Switzerland. More than one million customers use Swisscom TV. Launched in 2014, Swisscom TV 2.0 is completely cloud-based.
- Swisscom TV 2.0 uses the 5910 VSA, fully integrated with the Nokia 7750 Service Router (SR), to efficiently stream and deliver an exceptional IPTV service to subscribers at scale and cost-efficiently. The performance is as much as eight times better than appliance-based solutions from the competition.
- The 5910 VSA brings a stable, field-proven solution which has been enhanced to deliver fast channel change and video retransmission for 4K UHD streams.
- The solution will be installed centrally in Swisscom's two head-end data centers and made available to Swisscom's entire subscriber base.
Anthony Berkeley, EMEA and Asia Business Development VP, Video Business Unit, from Nokia says: "Video subscribers demand the highest-quality experiences available, and we have partnered with Swisscom to meet those expectations. We are delighted that our video platform technology will now help Swisscom solidify TV 2.0 as best in class with first to market 4K UHD Live TV."
Peter Fregelius, Head of TV Development & Technology at Swisscom Schweiz AG, says: "We are investing into our infrastructure to deliver the best experience for Ultra-High-Definition content. The solution provided by Nokia is a cornerstone of this infrastructure. It will enable our customers to enjoy individual games of the European Football championship in 2016 on SRF zwei in 4K UHD with exceptional picture and sound."
Connect with Nokia:
- Subscribe to receive our product news alerts
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. http://nokia.com
Phone: +358 10 448 4900
Media Contacts Germany/Austria/Switzerland:
Mobile: +49 160 74 36 223
Mobile: +49 162 28 36 967