- Nokia to premiere 5G-ready network at 5G World built using its commercially-available network platforms
- Demonstrates prowess of Nokia's portfolio and progress towards making 5G a reality beyond laboratory prototypes
- Nokia Bell Labs demonstrates how this 5G network can simultaneously enable a broad range of new use cases
June 28, 2016
5G World, London - Nokia is to make the first ever demonstration of a 5G network running on commercial platforms as part of its showcase at 5G World that will underline the momentum of bringing 5G to commercial reality. Following the successful launch in February of the industry-first 5G-ready AirScale Radio Access technology Nokia will demonstrate AirScale working together with its Cloud Packet Core, running on a Nokia AirFrame data center platform, the foundation of a commercial 5G architecture.
This demonstration will be one of a number of activities at 5G World that Nokia will conduct to update the industry on its progress in realizing the potential of 5G and the creation of a seamless fabric of dynamic networks serving a multi-connected world. Via product and technology demonstrations as well as keynote sessions, Nokia will explain how it is accelerating the development and standardization of 5G and providing the technological means for operators to prepare and unlock the full potential of their networks.
By 2020, full 5G services are expected to be launched, enabling unprecedented levels of coverage and capacity as well as increases in speeds, enhanced energy efficiency and reductions in latency. 5G networks will provide ubiquitous connectivity for the 46 billion connected devices Bell Labs Consulting estimates will be in use, serving the augmented real-world and virtual reality needs of people and application areas such as autonomous cars, industrial automation and remote robotics, smart cities and personal healthcare.
Nokia Bell Labs will demonstrate a new concept in Network Slicing, which will create and automatically map capabilities for the radio, transport, core and application layers into a discreet network 'slice'. Using cloud orchestration, new services can be created instantly and delivered to meet the specific and diverse demands of any customer or application, such as providing low-latency support to control machines in a factory, or providing extreme high-speed broadband to enterprises and homes.
These latest developments underscore the impact of the company's increased research and development efforts focused around 5G, and the scale of its R&D capacity, with over 40,000 scientists and engineers globally
Nokia at 5G World in detail
- Nokia will showcase its AirScale Radio Access, supporting a 4.5 GHz 5G cmWave access system using higher order MIMO antenna technology.
- Nokia's Cloud Packet Core will be demonstrated, featuring Mobility Management Entity (MME), System Architecture Evolution (SAE) Gateway and the Home Subscriber Server (HSS) - all operating on the Nokia AirFrame data center platform.
- Nokia will highlight how end-to-end network slicing will allow operators to exploit unique network characteristics required to deliver specific types of applications and services
- Hossein Moiin, CTO of the Mobile Networks business group, will deliver a keynote on making 5G a commercial reality, talking about the real opportunities of 5G, while outlining Nokia's 5G commercialization program. Harri Holma, Nokia Fellow, will also give a keynote in which he will discuss the evolution from LTE to 5G.
- There will be interactive live demonstrations of applications for transportation such as connected cars, and robotics for 'Industry 4.0' to show the importance of low latency in critical communications.
5G World runs from June 29-30 at the Olympia Conference & Exhibition Centre in London. It will also incorporate the Connected Cars '16 trade event. Nokia will be present at booth #48 at 5G World and booth #86 at Connected Cars '16.
Hossein Moiin said: "Nokia is a leading force in driving 5G standardization and our technology innovations are allowing the industry to move more rapidly toward commercial 5G systems. By introducing 5G-ready technologies now in our commercial solutions, which support today's LTE-Advanced and the upcoming LTE-Advanced Pro / Pro II, our customers can smartly bridge their networks to 5G. This will allow them to create and capture new business and meet the massive data demand from people and IoT as it develops.
Did you know?
- Nokia Networks collaborates with leading universities in Europe, the USA and China to make the 5G technologies as viable and future proof as possible. It also runs several 5G related industry projects in Europe, chairs the 5G-PPP association and is running 5G innovation projects with major operators including China Mobile, NTT DOCOMO, Korea Telecom, SK Telecom, Deutsche Telekom and Verizon Wireless.
- At Mobile World Congress 2016 Nokia Bell Labs demonstrated 5G massive capacity and connectivity showing peak data speeds of over 30 Gbps, and enabling greater than 1 million devices to be served simultaneously by a single cell.
- Webpage: Nokia AirScale Radio Access
- Webpage: Cloud Packet Core
- Webpage: Nokia AirFrame Data Center Solution
Connect with Nokia:
- Subscribe to receive our product news alerts
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Nokia Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. http://nokia.com
Phone: +358 10 448 4900