Nokia and Tele2 Russia collaborate on developing 5G technologies
- Companies to focus on development of high-speed extreme broadband communications, driving spectrum efficiencies to allow large amounts of data - such as HD video - to be delivered efficiently and effectively
- Nokia and Tele2 Russia will investigate Internet of Things applications in the connected cars, utilities, smart cities, health and home market segments
Moscow, Russia - Nokia and Tele2 Russia have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to accelerate development of 5G mobile networks in order to meet the future data demands of people, devices and machines. The companies will focus on LTE-Advanced and 5G radio access technologies and applications with the goal of identifying ways to optimize real-time HD video and drive the network automation required for a better customer experience and new Internet of Things services.
Nokia is leading the industry's evolution to 5G networks, driving developments to deliver massive capacity and connectivity with almost no latency in order to support the billions of connected people, devices and things expected in the future. Enabling this ever-more connected world expands the possibilities of consumers and business.
Under the agreement, Nokia and Tele2 Russia will collaborate with the intention of developing LTE-Advanced and 5G-ready solutions that will allow Tele2 Russia to evolve its network and prepare for the eventual commercial implementation of 5G networks. This will include testing the high-speed extreme broadband communications networks expected to manage huge amounts of data traffic in the 5G era, using technologies that include:
- Higher order multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna systems and multi-component carrier aggregation to optimize existing 4G air interfaces and introduce a new 5G air interface while offering new spectrum efficiencies.
- Evolved multimedia broadcast multicast service (eMBMS) and Edge Video Orchestration for 4G and 5G networks to enable the simultaneous delivery of real- time HD video to increasingly high volumes of people and machines.
- Dynamic Experience Management (DEM), combining traffic optimization in the radio access network with embedded real-time analytics to provide subscribers with a superior automated service experience based on their network profiles.
Ritvars Krievs, CTO at Tele2 Russia, said: "We expect 5G to become mainstream technology by 2021. Working with Nokia we can take advantage of the technologies that capitalize on the efficiencies enabled by 5G to differentiate our offer and exceed the expectations of our subscribers."
JP Takala, head of Market Unit East Europe at Nokia, said: "With this agreement we are pleased to continue a 13-year relationship with Tele2 Russia, with a view to assisting them into the 5G era. Having already launched 5G-ready technologies, we can help operators like Tele2 Russia evolve their networks smoothly to meet soaring data demand and take early advantage of the new possibilities enabled by 5G and IoT."
Did you know?
A recent Nokia Bell Labs Consulting report shows surging consumer and business demand for mobile content at home and on the go will outpace the ability of service providers to deliver it, unless investments are accelerated in areas such as 5G and the cloud. As a leader in 5G, Nokia is collaborating with universities across the globe to share capabilities in 5G technologies. Nokia runs several 5G-related industry projects in Europe, chairs the 5G-PPP association and collaborates on 5G innovation projects with major operators.
Web Page: 5G - Creating a new era of communication
Connect with Nokia:
Subscribe to receive our product news alerts
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Nokia Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. https://nokia.com
Phone: +358 10 448 4900
Phone: +7 495 737 2112