- Successful lab test sets the stage for the government to offer superior high-speed broadband services
- Nokia's XGS-PON (next generation Passive Optical Network) technology was used to improve speed from 1Gbps to 10G symmetrical
08 November 2016
Kuwait City, Kuwait - The Government of Kuwait has successfully achieved the speed of 10Gbps upstream over a single fiber during lab tests of Nokia's XGS-PON fiber technology. This is the first time such a speed has been achieved in the Gulf Corporation Council (GCC) region. The test paves the way for the government to offer enhanced speeds from the current 1Gbps to 10G symmetrical.
Nokia's XGS-PON technology (X=10, G=Gigabit, S=Symmetrical PON), which was recently standardized, lets service providers cost-effectively grow revenues by offering new, high-speed services to residential and enterprise customers over their existing networks.
Federico Guillén, president of Nokia's Fixed Networks Business Group, said: "We are honored to help the government offer superior and innovative services to their customers. Our unique approach will enable the government to protect its investment by allowing it to upgrade from GPON to XGS-PON and to TWDM-PON by utilizing the same access node."
The Kuwait Government was the first to roll out GPON in the GCC region in 2006 and with this test, it maintains its position as a pioneer in Fiber-To-The-Home (FTTH) technology. With Nokia's innovative GPON approach, which has been bolstered by its acquisition of Alcatel-Lucent, the government will be able to not only leverage the existing fiber network but to also expand current subscriber bandwidth offering towards 10G Symmetrical service. The government has extremely been satisfied with Nokia's cooperation in the successful completion of the test.
Overview of Nokia solutions provided for the test:
- A high-capacity access node, Nokia 7360 Intelligent Services Access Manager (ISAM) FX delivers capabilities to meet bandwidth needs of demanding residential and business users
- Nokia's 7368 Intelligent Service Access Manager (ISAM) Optical Network Terminals was used to deliver triple-play services with high bandwidth capacity to the end consumer
Connect with Nokia:
- Subscribe to receive information on specific areas of interest
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Nokia Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. http://nokia.com
Phone: +971 529 823 406
Phone: +358 (0) 10 448 4900