- du reinforces technology leadership by conducting region's first trial of Software Defined Access Networks (SDAN) on a Next Generation PON network (NG-PON)
- Nokia's SDAN brings intelligence to network through open cloud-based platforms that help du automate the network, accelerate the rollout of new services and establish the foundation essential for 5G
- SDAN trial to facilitate the UAE's futuristic vision, which requires intelligent, programmable networks
16 October 2017
Dubai - UAE-based telecommunications service provider - du, announced that it is the first provider in the Middle East to trial SDAN technology on NG-PON and establish an intelligent network capable of supporting future needs. Using Nokia's SDAN solution, du can accelerate innovation through a more open, automated network environment that makes it easier and faster to create and deploy new intelligent services.
Helping to facilitate the UAE's future ambitions, the trial demonstrates how du can use SDAN to build intelligent networks that can adapt to the changing needs of the consumers. Using Nokia's software-defined networking (SDN) technology to flexibly program and automate its next-generation PON network, du will be able to increase network performance for highly demanding businesses and 5G use cases, accelerate time-to-revenue and enhance the network usage experience by its fixed and mobile customers.
The successful trial also demonstrates how du can effectively use Nokia's SDAN solution to:
- Showcase new capabilities such as transport network for future 5G mobile access networks, network slicing and wavelength mobility
- Automate network workflows with self-healing and optimizing capabilities that reduce the time and complexity needed to address network issues and meet the mission critical needs of a futuristic network
- Leverage open cloud-based platforms that accelerate the delivery of new capabilities and flexible service offerings to end users
Marwan BinShakar, Vice President Access & Transport Planning, du, said: "We're excited to successfully trial Software Defined Access Network technology that marks a logical progression for us as we move to a deeper virtualized network environment - allowing for faster response to proliferation of connected devices and varying network usage patterns. SDAN provides the network intelligence, automation and control we need to support emerging new uses cases like 5G."
Federico Guillén, president of Nokia's Fixed Networks Business Group, said: "Dubai has a long history of pioneering technology transformation. This will require having smart networks that can connect everyone to everything, accelerate innovation and instantly deliver new services that meet evolving needs. SDAN enables this and provides an open, automated and intelligent network environment that makes futuristic cities possible."
Nokia is actively partnering and contributing to specifications defined by organizations such as Broadband Forum and On.LAB to ensure that companies like du can benefit from open, multi-vendor SDN environments. Nokia is the industry leader in SDAN with more than 30 customer trials and demos around the world.
- Press release: Nokia redefines fixed access virtualization with cloud-native and software-defined products Altiplano and Lightspan
- Press release: Nokia first to contribute open source software to accelerate adoption of software-defined fixed access networks
Connect with Nokia
- Subscribe to receive information on specific areas of interest
du is a vibrant and multiple award-winning telecommunications service provider serving 9 million individual customers with its mobile, fixedline, broadband internet, and Home services over its 4G LTE network. du also caters to over 100,000 UAE businesses with its vast range of ICT and managed services. Since its launch in 2007, du has many UAE firsts to its credit, including introduction of Pay by the Second® billing system, IPTV and self-service portal.
du is ideally placed to support the realisation of UAE Vision 2021 and transformation of Dubai into a Smart City. du is also the official strategic partner of the Smart Dubai Office and the platform provider for Smart Dubai. Following the successful testing of the Middle East's first Internet of Things (IoT) network, du is on course to complete deployment of its IoT network in 2016.
Brand Finance ranked du as the 12th most valuable brand in the Middle East in 2016. du previously won the coveted Brand of the year title by Superbrands Middle East in 2013. The company has been recognised with several other awards such as ISO 27001 certification of Managed Security Services and having the distinction of opening UAE's first LEED Platinum Certified Green Shop. du also has the unique distinction of the first telecom in the world to release Sustainability Report based on GRI-G4 guidelines in 2014. du is also credited with du's world-class teleport is the largest of its kind in the Middle East and ranked among the top teleports in the world by World teleport Association.
du is 39.5 percent owned by Emirates Investment Authority, 19.75 percent by Mubadala Development Company PJSC, 19.5 percent by Emirates Communications and Technology LLC and the remaining by public shareholders. Listed on the Dubai Financial Market (DFM), the company trades under the name 'du'.
We create the technology to connect the world. Powered by the research and innovation of Nokia Bell Labs, we serve communications service providers, governments, large enterprises and consumers, with the industry's most complete, end-to-end portfolio of products, services and licensing.
From the enabling infrastructure for 5G and the Internet of Things, to emerging applications in virtual reality and digital health, we are shaping the future of technology to transform the human experience. nokia.com
Nokia Media Relations
Phone: +971 529 823 406
Phone: +358 (0) 10 448 4900