- Network modernization to create cost efficiencies for BSNL while enabling HD-quality voice and faster call connections to 4G subscribers
- Deployment in 10 circles in western and southern India will support launch of 4G and VoLTE services while meeting needs of existing subscribers
- Will leverage Nokia Global Services' expertise including installation and commissioning and Care services
26 February 2018
Delhi-NCR, India- Nokia and BSNL have signed a network modernization agreement to support BSNL's launch of 4G and Voice over LTE (VoLTE) services in western and southern regions of India.
Deployment of the Nokia Single Radio Access Network (RAN) software will simplify network installation, allowing BSNL to save operational costs while supporting 2G, 3G and 4G subscribers in a single radio unit. New VoLTE services will allow BSNL's 4G subscribers to experience HD-quality voice and faster call connections.
Nokia will deploy the technology in 10 telecom circles in India - Maharashtra, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chattisgarh, Goa, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and Telangana - serving large cities, businesses, technology and tourist hubs - and nearly 38 million BSNL subscribers.
The Nokia MBiT Index 2018 reveals that 4G contributed to 82% of data traffic in 2017 and the monthly 4G data usage per user was nearly 11 GB per user per month. The deployment will enable BSNL to meet this growing demand as it continues to support subscribers on existing 2G and 3G networks.
The network deployment will include Nokia Single RAN software, IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS), Session Border Controller (SBC), CloudBand, Monetization Solution, Performance Manager, IP/MPLS and Wavence microwave technologies. Nokia Global Services will utilize its expertise and best practices to ensure high network and service quality.
Earlier this year, Nokia and BSNL signed an MoU to explore and develop the applications of 5G for the India market.
Anupam Shrivastava, Chairman and Managing Director of BSNL, said: " Hunger for consistent change and innovation provides the fuel to drive us towards excellence. With this in our core, we are striving to offer the best in class network speed, coverage and capacity using the best technology available. We are really proud to have technology partner like NOKIA with whom we are working in South and West Zone of the country, rolling out the latest single RAN Technology and further moving towards 5G, in direction with our aim to offer the best. "
Sanjay Malik, head of India Market at Nokia, said: "We are pleased to continue our longstanding relationship with BSNL on this important project in India. The deployment of our technologies will enable BSNL to launch exciting new voice and data services, satisfying growing demand in India."
About the deployment:
- Nokia Single Radio Access Network software
- Nokia Wavence microwave transport technology
- Nokia VoLTE solution including IMS core and the Nokia TAS
- Nokia Session Border Controller (SBC) to secure and control media and signaling streams that cross the edges of the IMS network
- Nokia CloudBand, including RedHat OpenStack, for Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) management and orchestration (MANO) of the Virtual Network Functions (VNFs)
- Nokia industry-leading IP/MPLS solution, based on its 7750 Service Router (SR), 7705 Service Aggregation Router (SAR), 7210 Service Access Switch (SAS) and, LAN Switch and GGSN for high performance networking and increased service delivery reliability
- Nokia Performance Manager (NPM) to ensure a high-quality subscriber experience by analyzing LTE performance data to generate insights and trigger the necessary optimization and expansion actions
- Nokia NetAct virtualized network management software to provide robust capabilities for managing the smooth evolution to 4G, and ultimately to 5G
- Nokia Monetization Solution including charging system upgrade, policy control and mediation capabilities
- Nokia will also leverage its services expertise, including installation and commissioning and multi-year Care services as it swaps out the existing network.
Connect with Nokia
- Subscribe to receive information on specific areas of interest
We create the technology to connect the world. Powered by the research and innovation of Nokia Bell Labs, we serve communications service providers, governments, large enterprises and consumers, with the industry's most complete, end-to-end portfolio of products, services and licensing.
Nokia is enabling the infrastructure for 5G and the Internet of Things, and shaping the future of technology to transform the human experience. nokia.com
Phone: +358 10 448 4900