- Deployment of Nokia's XGS-PON fiber technology enables Frontier to bring ultra-broadband services to customers in Texas, Florida and California
June 5, 2018
Dallas, Texas - Nokia today announced that Frontier Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: FTR), an integrated U.S.-based communications provider delivering voice, data, high-speed Internet and video services, will deploy Nokia's XGS-PON1 technology to deliver faster broadband speeds to business and residential customers. The phased roll out of the new enhanced services will initially focus on the greater Dallas/Fort Worth areas of Texas before expanding to the rest of the state along with Florida and California.
Using Nokia's XGS-PON solution, Frontier can enhance the reliability, flexibility, and scale of its network to quickly expand its addressable markets, support evolving mobile backhaul requirements and increase competitive advantage. Nokia's next-generation fiber technology also enables Frontier to quickly expand its current high-speed service offering to deliver new 10Gbps symmetrical broadband speeds using its existing, fiber-rich network.
Julie Kunstler, principal analyst at Ovum said: "Next Generation PON technologies such as XGS-PON are increasingly being deployed as demand for ultra-broadband applications and services continue to grow. Providing operators with the ability to use the same passive and active plants, XGS-PON solutions like Nokia's can be quickly deployed and used to capture 10Gbps service opportunities that help operators to improve the return on their existing fiber network investments."
Steve Gable, CTO and EVP at Frontier Communications, said: "We are excited to be working with Nokia on solutions that bring multi-Gigabit services to the home and quickly scale to 10 Gigabits and beyond. Nokia's platform will enable us to effectively support xDSL, P2P fiber, GPON and 10Gbps PON requirements and gain the flexibility to seamlessly evolve into future PON technologies. Nokia's solutions will enhance the customer experience by offering a Frontier fiber-powered internet that is as fast as it is reliable."
Federico Guillén, president of Nokia's Fixed Networks, said: "As demand for Gigabit and symmetrical services grows, the use of next-generation fiber will play a critical role in providing the ultra-broadband services customers require today and in the future. With a proven track record of next-generation fiber technology deployments, we were able to demonstrate how our XGS-PON solution could help provide a cost-effective path to 10Gbps and the flexibility to evolve with demand."
Did you know?
- Frontier is extending its Nokia 7360 deployment with next-generation PON line cards, which allow the company to deploy XGS-PON or TWDM-PON on the same card with a pluggable optic swap.
- Nokia's Next generation PON supports both traditional and SDAN (Software Defined Access Network) approach. This gives flexibility to operators to move to SDN when ready
- Nokia's temperature-hardened 7360 supports 100G network uplinks/rings in CO and many cabinet based deployment options.
- XGS-PON is the fastest and most cost-efficient way to evolve existing GPON networks to 10Gbps and symmetrical bit rates today.
- By adding XGS/TWDM PON termination cards to existing OLTs, Frontier can easily evolve to 10Gbps symmetrical services and capture new service opportunities with only minor changes in the physical and BSS/OSS applications in the network.
- Nokia is partnering with 14 service providers globally to deploy XGS/TWDM-PON solutions
About Frontier Communications
Frontier Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: FTR) is a leader in providing communications services to urban, suburban, and rural communities in 29 states. Frontier offers a variety of services to residential customers over its fiber-optic and copper networks, including video, high-speed internet, advanced voice, and Frontier Secure® digital protection solutions. Frontier Business(TM) offers communications solutions to small, medium, and enterprise businesses. More information about Frontier is available at www.frontier.com..
We create the technology to connect the world. Powered by the research and innovation of Nokia Bell Labs, we serve communications service providers, governments, large enterprises and consumers, with the industry's most complete, end-to-end portfolio of products, services and licensing.
We adhere to the highest ethical business standards as we create technology with social purpose, quality and integrity. Nokia is enabling the infrastructure for 5G and the Internet of Things to transform the human experience. nokia.com
Brigid M. Smith
- XGS-PON (X=10, G=Gigabit, S=symmetrical Passive Optical Network) is a point-to-multipoint fiber access network that delivers 10 Gb/s in both directions and supports dual rate transmissions