Basil Alwan was President of IP Routing and Transport at Alcatel-Lucent. Alcatel-Lucent’s IP Routing and Transport revenues exceeded $5 billion across IP, Transport, Video and Cloud/Data Center technologies during his tenure.
Basil joined Alcatel in 2003 through the acquisition of privately held TiMetra Networks. TiMetra was a venture-backed Silicon Valley start-up focused on service routers for IP/MPLS networks where he was founder, President and CEO. Since the acquisition Basil and the team from TiMetra have steadily grown Alcatel-Lucent’s IP routing business. The business has gained market share consistently for a decade; from entry Alcatel-Lucent attained the #2 position in service provider IP/MPLS routing with more than 400 customers in 120+ countries around the world.
Basil is a recognized industry leader who enjoys working with entrepreneurs and sharing views on networking technology and industry evolution. He graduated from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, in 1984, with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering.
- Joined Nokia in 2016
- Previously President of IP Routing and Transport, Alcatel-Lucent
- President of IP Division, Alcatel-Lucent 2003–2012
- Founder, President and CEO, TiMetra Networks 2000–2003
- Vice President and General Manager, Bay Networks (acquired by Nortel) Enterprise Products Division (EPD) 1997–2000
- Vice President of Product Management and Marketing, Rapid City Communications 1996–1997