- Commercial implementation of Nokia Networks' cloud-based TAS enables VoLTE launch
- Subscribers set to enjoy extremely fast data and HD voice services
Milan, Italy - 31 July 2015
Vodafone Italy, one of the country's largest operators and a fully-owned subsidiary of the Vodafone Group plc, has selected Nokia Networks to introduce commercial Voice over LTE (VoLTE) services on its network. Under the 5-year contract, Nokia Networks will implement its multifunctional Telecommunications Application Server (TAS) in a virtual, cloud-based environment to improve service agility and optimize network resource utilization for Vodafone Italy.
VoLTE - a technology that ensures crystal-clear voice quality
As a next-generation technology, VoLTE delivers multiple benefits for operators and customers alike. These include high-definition (HD) voice quality, faster call set-up times with voice continuity, and optimized performance under load. The overall data consumption and signaling load is also lower compared to over-the-top voice applications.
Key highlights of the deal:
- TAS and Home Subscriber Server (HSS), including key IMS application server functions such as MultiMedia Telephony (MMTel), Service Centralization and Continuity Applicaton Server (SCC AS) and IP Multimedia Service Switching Function (IM-SSF) to enable VoLTE services, together with Cloud Application Manager (Network Functions Virtualization Manager) and NetAct (Element Management System)
- Mobile Softswitch (MSS) with enhanced Single Radio Voice Call Continuity* (eSRVCC) to assist in voice call continuity between VoLTE and circuit-switched networks
- Network planning and optimization services to support the VolTE rollout
Massimo Ortelli, Head of Vodafone South Customer Business Team, Nokia Networks, said: "This engagement further validates Vodafone Italy's faith in Nokia Networks' capabilities to evolve its service proposition in line with customer expectations. After having conducted New Zealand's first VoLTE call with Vodafone, we have now reached another important milestone by commercializing cloud-based VoLTE - a landmark that paves the path for crystal-clear, HD voice services to significantly boost the service experience for subscribers. Vodafone plans to use our VoLTE TAS cloud product to migrate its legacy fixed VoIP subscriber base."
Did you know?
Nokia Networks currently has 30 commercial IMS and TAS deals for VoLTE, 8 of which are already in live service. For LTE subscriber management, Nokia Networks has more than 100 contracts.
According to the GSA report for June 2015, 103 operators are currently investing in VoLTE deployments, trials or studies in 49 countries. Of these, 25 operators across 16 countries have commercially launched VoLTE-based HD voice services.
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: VoLTE, Vodafone Italy, Vodafone, Nokia Networks, TAS
By focusing on the human possibilities of technology, Nokia embraces the connected world to help people thrive. Our three businesses are leaders in their fields: Nokia Networks provides broadband infrastructure, software and services; HERE provides mapping, navigation and location intelligence; and Nokia Technologies provides advanced technology development and licensing.
Nokia Networks, which provides broadband infrastructure, software and services, operates at the forefront of our industry. From the first ever call on GSM to the first call on LTE, we have set the pace of innovation, a record that continues with future technologies such as 5G. Together with our operator customers, who serve close to 5 billion subscribers, we are embracing the opportunity of the connected world and helping to solve its challenges.
Phone: +49 162 283 6967
Phone: +358 (0) 10448 4900
* eSRVCC enables high-definition (HD) calls established in the IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) over VoLTE to be handed over to 2G/3G using voice continuity so that the voice portion of calls can continue seamlessly even when 4G coverage is no longer available.