du, Nokia Networks cooperate on 5G development, conduct Middle East's first 10 Gbps live 5G demo at GITEX Technology Week
- Companies sign Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to share a strategic vision for 5G development and evolution
- Successfully demonstrate 5G radio proof of concept
- Demonstration shows 5G real life use cases including eHealth and a 4K ultra high- definition video experience
Dubai, UAE - 18 October 2015
Nokia Networks and du, the Middle East's fastest-growing telecom service provider, are showing the possibilities of 5G systems for future ultra-broadband and critical machine-type communication for the Internet of Things (IoT) and smart city applications. The 5G radio demonstration at GITEX* Technology Week features for the first time in the Middle East live, ultra high-speed communications of up to 10 Gbps over the air in the promising mmWave band. The two companies today signed an MoU on a set of common objectives for the development and evolution of 5G and IoT. The agreement was signed by Farid Faraidooni, Chief Operations Officer at du, and Danny Atme, Head of Market Unit, Lower Gulf, Iran and Pakistan (LGIP), Nokia Networks, in the presence of other senior officials.
5G will drive growth in many industry sectors
Network speeds as high as 10 Gbps and with extremely low latency are a driving force for new applications that use massive broadband capabilities. 5G will be the platform to enable growth with many smart city use cases, from IT to automotive, manufacturing, healthcare, agriculture and entertainment. The extremely fast broadband speed can offer users enough capacity wherever they go without a drop in speed or connection. They can, for example, download a full-length HD video in a matter of seconds. Augmented and virtual reality services will be available at your fingertips.
Nokia Networks and du pave the way for 5G:
- The 5G system being demonstrated by du and Nokia Networks uses very high bandwidth, smart antennas, and next generation multi-carrier modulation to achieve ultra low latency and impressive peak data rates of 10 Gbps. This 5G radio proof-of-concept was developed in cooperation with National Instruments (NI).
- In the scope of the MoU, the parties agree to leverage their combined expertise and enhance cooperation and testing of future-ready 5G technology. The MoU will also include collaboration and consulting in terms of the introduction and trial of Nokia Networks small cells, Centralized RAN, multi-vendor Self-Organizing Networks (SON) and IoT as well as the evolution to telco cloud and Heterogeneous Networks (HetNets).
Saleem Blooshi, Executive Vice President of Network Development and Operations at du, said: "We are very pleased to show a next generation 5G prototype in cooperation with Nokia Networks at GITEX Technology Week, and to continue leading the development of future technologies for the benefit of our industry and society as a whole. Given the complexity of the evolution to 5G, Nokia Networks' strong portfolio, innovation capabilities and clear roadmap are key to a successful journey.
He continued: "As a UAE national company, it is an honour to support the progressive vision of our leaders. Bringing a 5G prototype to the region is an initial step that will ensure the rapid realization of our smart city ambitions and reaffirm our commitments to addressing its extensive requirements."
This is yet another feat for du in the realm of deploying advanced network technology. Earlier this year, du became one of the few operators in the world to start deployments supporting LTE-Advanced (LTE-A) or 4G+. du effectively demonstrated LTE-A with 900 Mbps over its LTE network at GITEX 2014.
Tony Awad, Head of du Customer Team at Nokia Networks, said: "This agreement reinforces the leadership of du and Nokia Networks in promoting and delivering innovative technologies. We're collaborating to share our experience, skills and expertise to accelerate developments in 5G and IoT technologies, and the network evolution. This is yet another step forward towards Nokia's vision of expanding the human possibilities of the connected world."
Picture 1: MoU signing ceremony, left to right - Farid Faraidooni, Chief Operations Officer at du, and Danny Atme, Head of Market Unit, Lower Gulf, Iran and Pakistan (LGIP), Nokia Networks
Picture 2: 10 Gbps live 5G demo; left to right - Osman Sultan, Chief Executive Officer at du, and Farid Faraidooni, Chief Operations Officer at du
Did you know?
· Nokia Networks is a major force behind 5G research and industry collaboration. The company leads and actively contributes to joint industry work, standardization, spectrum and regulatory discussions, and participates in collaborative research such as Europe's 5G PPP (5G Infrastructure Public Private Partnership). It is the technical coordinator of the METIS-II project and leads the 5G NORMA consortium which defines the 5G architecture.
· During Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2015, the company launched its IoT connectivity solution for LTE core and radio networks which makes existing LTE networks IoT ready.
· More recently, Nokia Networks unveiled its programmable 5G multi-service architecture that overcomes the rigidity of legacy networks. The company targets a 5G-ready massive broadband solution in 2017 for the last hop to the home.
- Webpage: Versatile 5G radio
- Whitepaper: 5G Radio Access
- Insight newsletter: Taking 5G to other industries - a view from the top
- Insight newsletter: 5G networks: a new architecture for a new era
Connect with Nokia Networks:
- Subscribe to receive our product news alerts
TAGS: 5G, IoT, du, Dubai, National Instruments, NI, Nokia Networks, GITEX, smart city
We started operating in 2007, offering mobile and fixed telephony, broadband connectivity and IPTV services. Today, we serve more than 7.5 million individual customers and over 80,000 businesses in the UAE. We also provide carrier services for businesses and satellite up/downlink services for TV broadcasters.
We won the Gallup Great Workplace Award. Our recruitment strategy aims to provide fulfilling opportunities for quality talent in a cosmopolitan working environment where more than 60 nationalities work 35% of which are Emiratis. We are the first telecom company in the world to release a Sustainability Report based on GRI-G4 comprehensive guidelines. Among our other laurels, we also have the credit of being the first in the UAE to be awarded with prestigious LEED Platinum certification for 2 of our green retail outlet.
du is 39.5 percent owned by Emirates Investment Authority, 20.08 percent by Mubadala Development Company PJSC, 19.5 percent by Emirates Communications and Technology LLC and the remaining by public shareholders. Listed on the Dubai Financial Market (DFM), the company trades under the name 'du'.
By focusing on the human possibilities of technology, Nokia embraces the connected world to help people thrive. Our three businesses are leaders in their fields: Nokia Networks provides broadband infrastructure, software and services; HERE provides mapping, navigation and location intelligence; and Nokia Technologies provides advanced technology development and licensing.
Nokia Networks, which provides broadband infrastructure, software and services, operates at the forefront of our industry. From the first ever call on GSM to the first call on LTE, we have set the pace of innovation, a record that continues with future technologies such as 5G. Together with our operator customers, who serve close to 5 billion subscribers, we are embracing the opportunity of the connected world and helping to solve its challenges.
Phone: +91 95388 90288
Phone: +358 (0) 10 448 4900
Brand & Communications
Tel: +971 4 367 6159
Mobile: +971 55 6088674
* GITEX (Gulf Information Technology Exhibition) in Dubai, UAE, has become one of the most influential tech events. At the core of its 35th anniversary edition will be innovation and the rapidly evolving Internet of Everything.