- Operator selects Nokia's innovative suite of technologies to increase capacity and improve uplink throughput
- Nokia Flexi Zone Small Cells, Flexi Lite Base Stations also deployed in stadium common areas
- First-of-its-kind deployment in Spain to deliver excellent user performance under extreme load conditions
02 June, 2016
Madrid, Spain - Football fans attending matches at Valencia's Mestalla Stadium are set to enjoy significantly better mobile broadband services thanks to Telefónica's deployment of the Nokia Centralized RAN and small cells technologies.
The Nokia Centralized RAN solution is designed to meet increasingly high traffic demands and uplink throughput at sports venues and events, complemented by Nokia's Flexi Zone Small Cells products, Flexi Lite Base Stations and global services support to ensure seamless coverage and capacity, indoors and outdoors.
Events such as football games can bring over fifty thousand spectators to the Mestalla Stadium, all using their mobile devices to share pictures and videos with family and friends via social networks. The Nokia Centralized RAN solution will help Telefónica ease any build-up of network congestion by combining multiple base stations that co-operate with one another to turn harmful interference into useful traffic.
The technology increases the average uplink capacity in existing LTE networks so that uploading can be done much faster. It also improves download speeds and extends battery life as devices no longer need to transmit at high power to cut through interference.
Solution details at a glance:
- Nokia Centralized RAN technology, built on the company's Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station and running on operators' existing LTE networks with no additional network elements needed, is scalable and can be adapted to changing customer needs - thus providing excellent capacity in even the densest areas of the globe
- Network planning and optimization services for seamless interworking of all parts
Joaquín Mata, Network Technology and Operations Director at Telefónica Spain, said: "Telefónica remains committed to building a cutting-edge network infrastructure in Spain, using innovative solutions that offer outstanding service quality in spite of exceptional circumstances. With Nokia, we will improve mobile broadband performance at Mestalla Stadium so our customers can share content easier."
Agustín Menchén, Telefónica Spain account head for Mobile Networks at Nokia, said: "Major events impose high demands on mobile operators, but with the right vendor and solutions, it is possible to meet the needs of large numbers of people in small areas. Nokia Centralized RAN will help Telefónica build a denser LTE network to deliver higher capacity and more robust services."
Did you know?
- Telefónica is the first telecom operator in Spain to deploy award-winning Nokia Centralized RAN, to the delight of football fans.
- In the past year, Nokia Centralized RAN has improved the mobile broadband user experience in more than one million stadium seats across the world.
- The solution has been recognized with the prestigious Leading Lights 2014 Award for Best New Product (Mobile), the CTIA Emerging Technology (E-Tech) award, and the Pipeline 2014 COMET Innovation Awards.
- Webpage: Nokia Centralized RAN
- Webpage: Nokia Small Cells
- Webpage: Nokia Flexi Zone
- Infographic: Nokia Small Cells
Connect with Nokia Networks:
- Subscribe to receive our product news alerts
Telefónica is one of the largest telecommunications companies in the world by market capitalization and number of customers with a comprehensive offering and quality of connectivity that is delivered over world class fixed, mobile and broadband networks. As a growing company it prides itself on providing a differential experience based both on its corporate values and a public position that defends customer interests.The company has a significant presence in 21 countries and over 322 million accesses around the world. Telefónica has a strong presence in Spain, Europe and Latin America, where the company focuses an important part of its growth strategy. Telefónica is a 100% listed company, with more than 1.5 million direct shareholders. Its share capital currently comprises 4,975,199,197 ordinary shares traded on the Spanish Stock Market and on those in London, New York, Lima, and Buenos Aires.
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Nokia Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. http://nokia.com
Phone: +358 10 448 4900