- Telefónica Spain to deploy new optical metro network as part of Fusión Red project to handle massive growth in traffic from new video services
- Nokia to deploy its recently enhanced transport portfolio, based on the company's new programmable silicon chipset, to help Telefónica Spain meet surging data demand
28 June, 2016
Espoo, Finland - Nokia's next-generation optical solution has been selected by Telefónica Spain for its new metro transport network to handle the massive traffic growth fueled by its successful Fusión quadruple-play services. Nokia will deploy the network in areas of high population density including Barcelona and Catalonia, ultimately covering half of Spain.
Telefónica Spain's three-year Fusión Red project was prompted by the explosive growth in video traffic on its networks from its Fusión quadruple play offer and, in particular, its Movistar TV service, which has expanded to include Canal+ services and the introduction of 'catch-up' TV. To date, Fusión has more than 15 million fiber lines, the widest adoption in Europe, and four million pay-TV subscribers.
Nokia will provide multiple elements of its recently enhanced optical portfolio based on the Nokia Photonic Service Engine version 2 (PSE-2), including the industry's most scalable packet-OTN switch, the Nokia 1830 PSS-24x. Consisting of metro access, aggregation and core mesh connectivity, the new transport network will provide the flexibility and scalability required to cope with traffic growth from Telefónica Spain expanding Fusión data and video services across high-density centers in Spain.
- As part of Telefónica's Fusión Red (evolution to the new IP MPLS e2e network) project, Nokia is providing a new optical metro network for the service provider to handle the massive traffic growth from new services, particularly video.
- Nokia will deploy the network in areas of high population including Barcelona and Catalonia, ultimately covering half of Spain.
- Data traffic is expanding to the point where the legacy network cannot support its growth. Using Nokia, Telefónica Spain is evolving both its IP and transport networks to continue to bring customers the full commercial Fusión quadruple play.
- Telefónica Spain will deploy multiple elements of Nokia's recently enhanced optical transport portfolio including:
- The Nokia 1830 PSS-24x - the world's most scalable packet-OTN switch, providing up to 48 terabits of capacity per rack
- The 1830 PSS 500G DWDM Muxponder, offering up to 500G of flexible bandwidth for delivery of 100G services
- Nokia's CDC-F Wavelength Routing solution, giving Telefonica touchless programmability at the optical layer.
- Nokia's optical portfolio is based on its programmable Photonic Service Engine version 2 (PSEv2), which provides the ultimate flexibility to optimize capacity and performance
Javier Gutierrez, Director of Network Strategy and Development, Telefonica Spain, said: "The demand for video as part of our Fusión service has moved our data traffic to levels never before seen. We have, however, anticipated this growth and are evolving our network through our Fusión Red project - first for IP, and now at the transport layer. Nokia's optical portfolio is precisely the future-proof, next-generation solution we need to stay ahead of customer demand for many years to come."
Sam Bucci, head of Nokia's Optical business, said: "We are pleased to play such a critical and central role in the evolution of Telefónica Spain's metro network. Nokia's recently announced optical innovations will lay the groundwork necessary for Telefónica to easily handle the surge in traffic brought on by it's highly successful Fusión quad-play service, both now and well into the future."
- Video: Nokia PSE-2: The heart of the network for today and the future
- Video: Super coherent technology - optimizing wavelength capacity and reach
- Nokia Optical Networking page
- Photonic Service Engine 2 (P SE-2) page
- 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS) portfolio page
- White paper: Applications of next gen coherent modulation
Connect with Nokia Networks:
- Subscribe to receive our product news alerts
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Nokia Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things.
Phone: +358 10 448 4900