- Deployment of Nokia services and Single RAN technology will deliver enhanced coverage and better mobile broadband service quality
- Nokia SurePay® convergent charging and billing platform to enable Cellcard to provide compelling and competitive service offerings to its subscribers
24 January, 2017
Phnom Penh, Cambodia - Nokia will expand and modernize Cambodian operator Cellcard's 3G and LTE network to help it meet surging mobile broadband demand. The major initiative will empower Cellcard to offer the best mobile data services and an enhanced customer experience throughout Cambodia.
Cellcard initially launched LTE services in the Cambodian capital, Phnom Penh, in 2015 and has followed this with expansion to other areas. The current expansion involves Nokia's deployment of around 1500 additional sites to make mobile broadband services available in other provinces and rural areas.
Nokia's Global Services and Single RAN technology will let Cellcard host simultaneous 2G/3G/4G operations on a single platform, helping the operator protect its previous investments. The operator will also deploy IP edge routers from Nokia's 7750 Service Router (SR) product family to ensure that it is prepared for service demands driven by the eventual arrival of technologies such as 5G and the Internet of Things (IoT). Under the modernization program, Cellcard will use the Nokia 9500 Microwave Packet Radio platform to facilitate the transformation of its legacy microwave transport network to packet radio delivery to meet increasing data consumption nationwide in Cambodia.
Cellcard's project with Nokia will also see the migration of its current billing platform to Nokia SurePay, which offers real-time, convergent and flexible charging and billing options for various market segments. In addition, the operator can deliver a range of compelling and personalized service offerings to subscribers, as well as promotional offers.
Ian Watson, Chief Executive Officer at Cellcard said: "We are proud to work with Nokia in our initiative to offer the best LTE coverage and services to our subscribers. The expansion of our state-of-the-art mobile broadband network will play a critical role in helping the government enable Cambodians to take advantage of mobile broadband. Nokia's proven expertise will enable us to provide better coverage and quality of services to our subscribers."
Harald Preiss, head of Asia North at Nokia, said: "We are delighted to help Cellcard expand and modernize its mobile broadband network. At the completion of the project Cellcard will be able to deliver superior broadband services to its subscribers in both urban and rural regions. The enhanced customer experience will further enable the operator to not only reduce churn but to also attract new subscribers. Nokia's innovative solutions will help Cellcard's vision of offering best-in-class mobile broadband services become reality."
Overview of Nokia solutions provided for the network:
- Nokia SurePay to enable real-time charging and personalization of the subscriber experience
- Cellcard will use products from Nokia's 7750 Service Router (SR) portfolio, providing high-performance networking that supports the delivery of advanced services in the Cloud and IoT era
- Nokia 9500 Microwave Packet Radio for a modernization of their microwave transport network providing high-throughput and supporting evolution to 5G
- Professional Services including Network Planning and Optimization and Systems Integration and Implementation Services
Did you know?
- Internet subscriptions in Cambodia increased from 3.86 million in 2013 to 5.8 million in 2015, as per Telecommunications Regulator of Cambodia.
- Mobile broadband is recording a growth of 37% year-on-year in Cambodia, according to GSMA Intelligence.
Connect with Nokia Networks:
- Subscribe to receive information on specific areas of interest
Nokia is a global leader in creating the technologies at the heart of our connected world. Powered by the research and innovation of Nokia Bell Labs, we serve communications service providers, governments, large enterprises and consumers, with the industry's most complete, end-to-end portfolio of products, services and licensing.
From the enabling infrastructure for 5G and the Internet of Things, to emerging applications in virtual reality and digital health, we are shaping the future of technology to transform the human experience. http://www.nokia.com
APAC Media Relations
Phone: +852 9747 5873
Phone: +358 (0) 10 448 4900