- MEC combined with Edge Video Orchestration delivers live video feeds around the area and the Zain People Finder allows subscribers to navigate the crowds and stay in contact with friends and family
- A trial during the last Hajj showed how application of Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC) can enable delivery of compelling new applications to subscribers at high-traffic events
- Continues the companies' development of smart city technologies that will be used to transform communications and enrich the lives of residents of Jeddah
02 May 2017
Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia - Nokia and Zain Saudi Arabia has deployed Nokia's Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC) platform for the delivery of smart applications to subscribers in the vicinity of Mecca, allowing them to navigate the crowds and ensure the best mobile experience during the Umrah and Hajj pilgrimage.
Busy events can create challenges for operators as many people attempt to access the mobile network at the same time. With millions making the Umrah and Hajj pilgrimage each year, this challenge is elevated.
Following the successful trial during the last Hajj, Nokia and Zain has deployed the Nokia Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC) platform together with Edge Video Orchestration over the network using both macro and small cell base stations to enhance the experience for Zain's subscribers.
The Nokia MEC allows applications to be hosted closer to the edge of the network, therefore closer to subscribers, to efficiently use network resources and open up new opportunities for the delivery of compelling, tailored services in high-traffic locations. By combining MEC with Edge Video Orchestration, video feeds can be efficiently broadcast to multiple subscribers' devices simultaneously with millisecond latency. Massive data processing is performed by deploying the Nokia AirFrame Data Center technology.
During the Umrah and Hajj, subscribers are able to download and use two site-specific applications over the MEC-enabled network:
- The Zain People Finder helps them to easily navigate the crowds and locate and meet up with friends and family
- The Live Hajj application allows them to view video streams from the Al Rahmah Mountain in Arafat and the Jamarat area, to identify the best and quietest time of day to perform the 'flinging of the pebbles' ritual.
For the deployment, Nokia also employed network implementation, system integration and network planning and optimization services.
Sultan AlDeghaither, Chief Technology Officer of Zain Saudi Arabia, said: "Umarah and Hajj is the most important events in the region and we pride ourselves on offering exceptional services to the pilgrims. In keeping with our commitment to offer the best possible services to our subscribers, we have invested in modernizing our network in the Hajj area. The deployment of the Nokia MEC platform and two smart Hajj applications on this network is yet another milestone in our evolution toward building smart cities in the kingdom."
Ali Al Jitawi, head of the Zain Saudi Arabia Customer Team at Nokia, said: "We are pleased to work with Zain to provide the benefits of using MEC to deliver a differentiated experience at such an important event. By moving processing capabilities closer to people and their devices, the Nokia MEC telco cloud platform has great potential to be used for smart city deployments and will enable operators like Zain to launch compelling new services for consumers and enterprises."
Did you know?
Nokia is a founding member of the Multi-access Edge Computing ETSI Industry Specification Group, which fosters an open environment around IT and cloud-computing capabilities within the Radio Access Network.
Connect with Nokia:
- Subscribe to receive information on specific areas of interest
We create the technology to connect the world. Powered by the research and innovation of Nokia Bell Labs, we serve communications service providers, governments, large enterprises and consumers, with the industry's most complete, end-to-end portfolio of products, services and licensing.
From the enabling infrastructure for 5G and the Internet of Things, to emerging applications in virtual reality and digital health, we are shaping the future of technology to transform the human experience. nokia.com
Phone: +971 529 823 406
Phone: +358 (0) 10 448 4900