- Operator completes the first voice call over LTE in its commercial LTE network using Nokia Networks technology and expertise
- Danish customers to benefit from superior voice quality, faster call setup times
Copenhagen, Denmark - Telenor's wholly owned subsidiary,Telenor Denmark, has selected Nokia Networks to supply and implement its Voice over LTE (VoLTE) solution, following the successful completion of the first voice calls over LTE in the operator's live network.
VoLTE, which allows high-definition (HD) voice calls to be made over an LTE network, has many advantages for operators and users: HD voice quality, faster call setup times and better handovers, one all-IP network for all services, as well as improved performance under load. In addition, the overall data consumption and signaling load are lower compared to over-the-top voice applications.
HD calls over LTE network
With VoLTE, Telenor's Danish customers can look forward to richer communication services and high-definition voice calls with higher quality than regular voice applications. Call setup times are significantly faster and the caller can rely on voice continuity with no dropped calls.
Solution details at a glance
- Nokia Networks will implement and integrate its IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS), Open TAS (Telecommunications Application Server), Home Subscriber Server (HSS) and Border gateway (Open BGW) to enable VoLTE services
- Nokia NetAct network management system (OSS) will monitor, manage and optimize Telenor networks to ensure optimal interworking with the current network
- The new IMS-based network will allow Telenor in Denmark to consolidate its DSL VoIP offering on the same platform, providing operational efficiency and preparing for future voice services
- Nokia Networks will provide its Professional Services including network planning and optimization and system integration for a smooth transition to VoLTE
Kim Krogh Andersen, network director,Telenor, said: "We are committed to offer innovative, future-ready technologies and services that improve our customers' satisfaction. The VoLTE tests performed with Nokia Networks demonstrate crystal clear voice quality. Our customers will love that."
Rabi Daniel, account manager, Nokia Networks, said: "The success of this project reflects the strong teamwork between Telenor and Nokia Networks. Telenor recognized that the VoLTE system will be its machinery for future voice services, giving its subscribers a richer communication experience. That will put Telenor in a strong position."
Did you know?
LTE and Voice over LTE (VoLTE) are becoming the mainstream technology and by 2016, Nokia Networks estimates that around 10% of all LTE subscriptions will use VoLTE.
- Whitepaper: Evolve to richer voice with Voice over LTE, Nokia VoLTE optimisation
- Videos: The Power of your voice, Nokia Networks Core: Works Like Magic
- Infographic: VoLTE
- Blog: Why operator VoLTE beats OTT VoIP
Connect with Nokia Networks:
Tags: LTE, VoLTE, Telenor, Nokia Networks, Denmark
As part of the Telenor Group, Telenor Denmark's approximately 2,000 employees help Danish consumers and businesses connect and communicate via mobile and broadband. Telenor makes substantial annual investments in the Danish digital infrastructure. CBB, BiBoB and Canal Digital are also part of the Danish Telenor family. Learn more about Telenor Denmark on www.telenor.dk. The Telenor Group is one of the world's leading suppliers of mobile telephony with 172 million mobile customers and presence in 13 countries world-wide. For information about the Telenor Group, please visit www.telenor.com/.
Nokia invests in technologies important in a world where billions of devices are connected. We are focused on three businesses: network infrastructure software, hardware and services, which we offer through Nokia Networks; location intelligence, which we provide through HERE; and advanced technology development and licensing, which we pursue through Nokia Technologies. Each of these businesses is a leader in its respective field.
Nokia Networks is the world's specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world's most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly. http://networks.nokia.com/ // http://company.nokia.com
Phone: +33 6 03 79 30 86
Phone: +358 7140 02869
Head of Press Relations
Phone : +45 25 600 800
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org