- 3D Beamforming is an LTE-Advanced Pro technology delivering four times higher uplink and three times greater downlink capacity on TDD spectrum
- Enables carrier aggregation even at the cell edge using unique Nokia Inter-Site Carrier Aggregation of TDD and FDD LTE
- Nokia also launches Intelligent Beamforming to double cell edge throughput for TD-LTE, plus software for 3x accelerated uplink in FDD-LTE
1 February, 2016
Espoo, Finland - Nokia will showcase LTE Advanced and LTE-Advanced Pro* innovations at Mobile World Congress 2016 that substantially improve the capacity of both TD-LTE and FDD-LTE networks. The demonstrations include industry firsts with 3D Beamforming and 8x4 Intelligent Beamforming, unique inter-site carrier aggregation capabilities, and carrier aggregation combined with advanced modulation to triple uplink data rates.
The solutions help operators support more users without having to deploy additional base stations, and improve the customer experience by increasing throughput across a cell's coverage area. The innovations are largely driven by software developments, which will work on current base stations as well as with advanced cloud-based configurations. Speedy and more reliable mobile broadband helps operators to drive up revenue, reduce churn and opens up new business opportunities with enterprises.
LTE-Advanced and LTE-Advanced Pro enhancements at a glance:
- TD-LTE-Advanced Pro 3D Beamforming demonstration shows Nokia's Intelligent Beamforming capability that maximizes signal levels while also minimizing inter-cell interference by combining vertical and horizontal beamforming. It promises 4-fold uplink and 3-fold downlink throughput gains, measured in outdoor field environments using a commercial base station and devices .
- Nokia's unique Inter-Site Carrier Aggregation combines TDD and FDD carriers from different base stations located at different sites. This can provide high throughput at the cell edge using existing Release 10 devices.
- Nokia Intelligent Beamforming now includes 8x4 (8 transmit and 4 receive antennas) capability for TD-LTE that doubles cell edge rates and delivers 50% more average sector throughput. It also implements DL-CoMP (Coordinated MultiPoint) for a 50% increase in cell edge spectral efficiency. The Intelligent Beamforming capabilities are particularly useful with high bands for greater coverage and capacity.
- Uplink Carrier Aggregation and 64QAM modulation are introduced via software and combined to increase peak data rates in FDD-LTE cells by up to 150 Mbps, three times the maximum uplink speed of typical LTE networks today. This rebalances users' uplink and downlink experiences, following multiple downlink speed increases in LTE-Advanced in recent years.
Jeongho Kang, VP, NW Technology Division at LG Uplus, said: "Korea is the world's most advanced mobile broadband market and we continually strive to satisfy our customers' demands for the highest throughput and reliable connectivity. Creating more network capacity is vital to achieve that aim. LTE-Advanced Pro is an important development and we have showcased our readiness to leverage powerful new capabilities such as 3D beamforming that can help us to meet our goals."
Tero Peltola, head of FDD and TDD LTE Product Management at Nokia, said: "In addition to providing the most high-performing FDD-LTE and TD-LTE networks today, Nokia is also rapidly developing LTE-Advanced Pro technologies with operators. Nokia's 3D Beamforming, for downlink and uplink, is an early innovation and has been field tested in Hangzhou, China. We are also responding to the need for more capacity by enabling comprehensive aggregation of TDD and FDD LTE networks. With Nokia, operators can be assured that our solutions are field-proven and future-proof."
Did you know?
- Nokia has demonstrated a record throughput of 4.1 Gbps by running LTE-Advanced Pro TDD-FDD LTE Carrier Aggregation on commercial Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Stations with China Mobile and Ooredoo. This speed record remains unbeaten.
- Following the successful acquisition of Alcatel-Lucent, the new Nokia is LTE and TD-LTE radio network supplier to the world's 15 largest 4G operators**, and the combined market leader in TD-LTE based on Dell'Oro Q3 report, 2015.
- Photo of Nokia's TD-LTE-Advanced Pro 3D Beamforming using Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station
Connect with Nokia:
- Subscribe to receive our product news alerts
TAGS: MWC 16, LTE, FDD-LTE, TD-LTE, LTE-A, LTE-Advanced, Carrier Aggregation
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. http://nokia.com
Phone: +358 10 448 4900
* LTE-Advanced Pro: Improved radio capabilities will make mobile broadband services more efficient, providing higher quality and enabling new sets of services on top of LTE networks. These features are defined in 3GPP Releases 13/14 and are collectively known as 'LTE-Advanced Pro'. The developments will enable the Programmable World for billions of connected Internet of Things (IoT) devices, vehicular communication for Intelligent Traffic Systems (ITS) and public safety/critical communications. LTE-Advanced Pro raises user data rates to several Gbps, cuts latency to just a few milliseconds, gives access to unlicensed 5 GHz spectrum and increases network efficiency.
** Measured by 4G subscriber count