- New converged fixed and mobile network combines Nokia's physical and virtualized routing technology to improve performance significantly for Telefonica customers
23 February, 2016
Barcelona, Spain - Nokia is transforming Telefonica's network with its IP core and virtualized service router technology along with its services expertise to meet growing customer demand for high performance data and High Definition (HD) video. The next-generation infrastructure also lays the groundwork for Ultra HD video, cloud, 5G and IoT services.
Telefonica is seeing a rapid rise in data traffic through new innovative video services and popular content for its Movistar+ service, which has more than four million subscribers. Telefonica's mobile subscribers are also demanding more video and data, while enterprise customers depend on Telefonica's high-capacity, reliable network for business continuity and adoption of cloud services. The single, converged network will boost performance for residential, mobile and business services, and set the stage for future advanced services.
Nokia is deploying its IP portfolio - including core and virtualized routers - at the core and peering layers of the Telefonica network, driving higher capacity with an extremely reliable design. The deployment will be managed by the Nokia 5620 Service Aware Manager (SAM) and the Nokia 5650 Control Plane Assurance Manager (CPAM), which minimizes control plane misconfigurations, malfunctions and undetected routing updates.
Nokia will also employ its leading services expertise - including installation and commissioning, systems integration and migration of current services - to the new network architecture.
- Nokia will deliver its 7950 XRS core router as part of Telefonica's "Fusión Red" IP Core & Peering evolution project in response to the growing demand for bandwidth driven by video, cloud-based applications and immersive multimedia delivered across an array of devices. The versatility of the 7950 XRS allows it to address multiple networking roles with a common hardware platform.
- The Nokia VSR - Route Reflector (VSR-RR), part of Nokia's IP router virtualization portfolio, improves Telefonica's options for implementing highly scalable virtualized route reflection for Internet, L3 VPN and L2 VPN applications.
- Nokia 5650 Control Plane Assurance Manager (CPAM) gives Telefonica sophisticated control plane management and assurance with real-time visualization, route analytics and troubleshooting.
Joaquín Mata, Network Technology and Operations Director, Telefonica Spain, said: "As we ramp up our video and high-bandwidth data service offers we are committed to delivering the best possible quality of experience for our customers. We continue to rely on Nokia to evolve our IP Core network with industry-leading virtualization and core router technology to address our needs today and for the next generation services of tomorrow."
Basil Alwan, Head of IP/Optical Networks, Nokia, said: "Telefonica is building on Nokia's SDN, NFV and core routing capabilities to transform its IP core network for the next decade of growth. We are thrilled to expand our partnership with Telefonica; implementing our most advanced routing technology will support Telefonica's leadership and help to build a strong foundation for the future."
Connect with Nokia:
- Subscribe to receive our product news alerts
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. http://nokia.com
Phone: +358 10 448 4900