Nokia and Tata Power Delhi Distribution join forces to modernize electrical grids with advanced communications networks
- Nokia transforms the existing network into a state-of-the-art modern communications network to enhance power delivery to over 7 million Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited's customers in its area of operation in North and North-west Delhi
- Tata Power-DDL becomes the first Indian Power Utility to deploy Line Differential Teleprotection service over an IP/MPLS network.
- Nokia IP/MPLS technology has improved the reliability, scalability, security and efficiency of power distribution
March 9 2017
Delhi-NCR, India - Nokia has provided the leading Indian power utility Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited (TATA Power-DDL) with a state-of-the-art Internet Protocol/Multiprotocol Label Switching (IP/MPLS) network to support the management of its electrical grid in its area of operation in North and North-west Delhi. This deployment has enabled TATA Power-DDL to support both mission-critical operational services as well as traditional business and IT services all on a single communications network.
TATA Power-DDL is the first power utility in India to successfully implement teleprotection service using Line-Differential Relay (LDR) over an IP/MPLS network. This is an essential requirement for operating and maintaining a reliable, robust and safe electric grid. Teleprotection makes it possible to detect the presence of faults and trip breakers to isolate a certain section of the grid, containing the impact of the fault to a localized region.
Other Mission-critical operational services supported by this network include supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA), Integrated Surveillance System, Distribution Management System, Distribution Automation and much more. The network is also enabling TATA Power-DDL to support emerging smart grid applications such as distributed energy resources, mobile workforce management systems and automated demand response.
The network also delivers traditional business applications, including customer relationship management (CRM), enterprise resource planning (ERP) and video surveillance systems.
- Through the new IP/MPLS network, TATA Power-DDL is able to support virtually all of its operational and business services on a single network, providing enormous efficiencies.
- The IP/MPLS network features Nokia's 7210 Service Access Switch and 7705 Service Aggregation Router portfolios and is tailored to support critical applications required by utilities such as Asymmetric Delay Control, a feature invented by Nokia to help ensure the network stability for mission-critical teleprotection services.
- The network is managed by Nokia's 5620 Service Aware Manager.
- On top of its IP/MPLS network equipment, Nokia has provided professional services including network design, installation, commissioning and integration. Nokia will also provide maintenance services and support.
Mr. Praveer Sinha, CEO & MD Tata Power-DDL said: "We are happy to join hands with Nokia for modernizing electrical grids with advanced communication networks. The IP/MPLS network provided by Nokia will not only aid in speedier smart grid implementation but will also help in improving the reliability, scalability, security and efficiency of the power network through real time monitoring which will benefit our customers."
Sanjay Malik, head of India Market, Nokia, said: "Our leadership in the development of utility-specific features for IP/MPLS networks has enabled us to deliver a resilient, secure and highly efficient network for TATA Power-DDL that will serve as an ideal foundation for smart grid applications in the future."
Nokia is a global leader innovating the technologies at the heart of our connected world. Powered by the research and innovation of Nokia Bell Labs, we serve communications service providers, governments, large enterprises and consumers, with the industry's most complete, end-to-end portfolio of products, services and licensing.
From the enabling infrastructure for 5G and the Internet of Things, to emerging applications in virtual reality and digital health, we are shaping the future of technology to transform the human experience. www.nokia.com
About Tata Power-DDL
Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited (Tata Power-DDL) is a joint venture between Tata Power and the Government of NCT of Delhi with the majority stake being held by Tata Power Company (51%). Tata Power-DDL distributes electricity in North & North West parts of Delhi and serves a populace of 7 million. Tata Power-DDL has been the frontrunner in implementing power distribution reforms is acknowledged for its consumer friendly practices. Since privatization, the Aggregate Technical & Commercial (AT&C) losses in Tata Power-DDL areas have shown a record decline. Today, AT&C losses stand at 8.88% which is an unprecedented reduction of around 82% from an opening loss level of 53% in July 2002. www.tatapower-ddl.com
Phone: +91 8376922734
Phone: +358 10 448 4900