Look out for update notifications, and update your phone to enjoy the benefits! Free software updates from Nokia make sure your phone is always up to date with performance improvements, new and improved functions and the latest versions of apps and services. With Over the Air (OTA) updates, you don’t need any cables or computer, just download and install the update using your phone and an internet connection – using a Wi-Fi connection is best.
How can I update my N9 phone?
Software updates from Nokia are safe to install, and your settings, apps, photos, and text messages remain safe and sound. However, it is recommended that you create a backup before the update.
Software updates are free of charge, but to download the update, you need an internet connection, and data transmission costs may apply. For more info on the possible costs, contact your network service provider. To keep data costs down, we recommend that you use a Wi-Fi connection.
Step 1. Your phone notifies you in the Events view whenever updates are available for your phone software or for individual apps. To view and to install the updates, just tap the notification message, and follow the instructions shown on your phone. You can install the update immediately, or postpone the update for a more convenient time. It is recommended that you create a backup before the update.
Step 2. The update should take around 15-30 minutes, and you are not able to use your phone during the update installation.
Step 3. Update success! Now you can use your phone and enjoy the new features and enhanced experience.
Tip: It is recommended that you use a Wi-Fi connection for the update.
Watch the video on how to update your phone
How can I check whether updates are available for my phone?
Update availability may vary depending on things like your phone model, region, and network service provider or carrier.
Stay tuned for the software update icon in the Events view, it appears whenever a new update is available.
Check for updates manually
1. Select Settings > Applications > Manage applications.
2. Open the Updates tab to see available updates, and follow the instructions shown on your phone.
How do I prepare for an update?
- It is recommended that you back up your phone before doing a software update, either in the phone memory, or on your computer using Nokia Suite. Install Nokia Suite.
- The size of an update package can be several megabytes, and therefore it is recommended that you use a Wi-Fi connection to download the update.
- Before starting the update, make sure your phone has enough battery power. If the battery level is low, charge the battery before starting the update.
- Check that your phone is set to the correct date and time. With a wrong date or time, your phone won’t be able to access the updates.
- Make enough space on your phone for the update. If necessary, remove some apps or other large items.
What if I have trouble installing an update?
If you have problems during the software update, you can try our Discussions community to solve them.