MBiT Index 2020: Total data traffic increased 44 times over last four years; amongst the highest globally
Mobile Broadband India Traffic Index
Nokia MBiT Index is a report on mobile broadband performance in India. It aims to provide valuable insight, data and analysis on mobile broadband and traffic growth in India, by co-relating these trends with various demand and supply-side drivers of the connectivity ecosystem such as handsets and devices, content, subscriber usage patterns and network investments by mobile operators.
MBiT Index 2020
This edition of the MBiT Index evaluates
- 3G, 4G and overall data traffic growth trends at a pan-India and circle category level
- Data consumption per user on 3G and 4G for 2019 and data usage pattern
- Key developments on the content and OTT side of the market.
- Current device ecosystem for 3G, 4G and VoLTE devices
- Evolution of Private LTE networks in India with key use-cases and future roadmap, along with insights from country’s top CIOs and CTO.
- Nokia Networks India
7th Floor, Building 9A, DLF Cyber city, DLF Phase III Gurgaon – 122 002,
Switchboard: +91 124 4504000 +91 124 4504000 FREE
- Our markets
To download report, click here
Key Highlights of MBiT Index 2020
- India traffic grew 44x in last 2015-19, which is amongst the highest globally
- Overall data traffic increased by 47% in 2019 due to continued 4G consumption, while 3G data traffic showed its highest ever decline of 30%
- 4G constituted 96% of total data traffic consumed across the country; Bulk of the increase in 4G payload came from categories A, B and C
- Overall average data usage per month registered a CAGR of 93% from 2015-2019 with average data usage per month reaching 11 GB in December 2019
- 4G device base grew by 1.5x over the last year with devices growing from 335 million in 2018 to 486 million in 2019 driven by launch of variety of models by brands at aggressive pricing.
- Video consumption has surged due to an aggressive distribution strategy and innovations like sachet pricing and mobile only packs by OTT players
- Growing requirement for more reliable, secure & higher capacity connectivity is driving the demand for advanced solutions