- "Zero footprint" integrated RF cell site solution will re-define the cost and complexity of traditional installation and operation
- The Nokia solution is based upon CLOUD RAN connected to remote edge cloud locations with independent hardware and RAN software
- Nokia AirGile Cloud-native core functions to be deployed, including IP Multimedia Subsystem, Shared Data Layer, Session Border Controller and around 25 cloud-based VNFs
13 February 2019
Espoo, Finland - Nokia announced today it is working with Rakuten to build a new mobile network in Japan. Nokia will provide full turnkey services to plan, manage, deploy and integrate cloud RAN, AirGile cloud-native core network technology and several Nokia software functions.
Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, the Rakuten Group offers more than 70 services in e-commerce, fintech, digital content and communications to more than 1.2 billion members across the globe. Rakuten will leverage its experience as an IT company and its membership base of more than 100 million users in Japan as it enters the market as a greenfield mobile operator and digital service provider.
Rakuten's distributed cloud network, along with Nokia and Rakuten's work to automate the network build and deployment process, will help reduce network operation costs and enhance operational efficiencies.
Nokia will provide turnkey deployment and integration of the new radio network leveraging a 'zero footprint' site approach with remote radio heads connected to cloud RAN software on the edge cloud, to speed deployment and network scalability. Nokia is working with Rakuten on several underlying core functions to maximize automation, AI and machine learning to reduce the cost of operations to a fraction of legacy networks.
The network will be deployed across Japan - including Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya - and use Nokia Cloud RAN, AirScale radios (remote radio heads) and the Nokia AirGile cloud-native core, incorporating technologies such as Nokia IP Multimedia Subsystem, Session Border Controller and Telco Application Server for the fast roll-out of services such as Voice over LTE.
Rakuten and Nokia are completely aligned on the Future X network vision and it is being implemented in Rakuten's brand new mobile network operation in Japan. The building of the network is underway and user trials in Tokyo have already begun.
Yoshihisa Yamada, Representative Director and President of Rakuten Mobile Network, Inc. said: "We are delighted to work with Nokia on co-creating and deploying an open virtualized radio access network. Together, we have managed to disaggregate the current RAN platform by separating hardware and software, and implementing the Radio software as a Virtual Network Function running on Rakuten Cloud Platform (RCP)."
John Harrington, head of Nokia Japan, said: "This is a groundbreaking deployment that is at the forefront of cloud native technology and digital transformation in Japan. By combining the latest technology in cloud and automation with Nokia's hardware, software and services, Rakuten will emerge as the first Japanese service provider to use a full cloud-based service model."
Overview of the services and technology used for deployment:
- Nokia full turnkey services including network design, planning & optimization; project management of site acquisition, civil work construction and network implementation.
- Nokia Cloud RAN including AirScale radios (remote radio heads) and integration into mobile edge cloud
- Nokia AirGile Cloud-native core functions, including the Nokia IP Multimedia Subsystem
- Nokia Shared Data Layer to optimize VNFs for the cloud and enable more rapid innovation of services and faster revenue growth
- Nokia Session Border Controller to secure and control media and signaling streams that cross the edges of the IMS network.
- Cloud operations, including CloudBand and FlowOne, leveraging a DevOps based framework for the transformation of operations
- Web page: Cloud RAN
- Web page: Nokia Telco cloud
- Web page: Nokia Services
- Web page: Shared Data Layer
- Web page: Session Border Controller
- Web page: Subscriber Data Management
- White paper: Reinvent telcos for the cloud
About Rakuten, Inc.
Rakuten, Inc. (TSE: 4755) is a global leader in internet services that empower individuals, communities, businesses and society. Founded in Tokyo in 1997 as an online marketplace, Rakuten has expanded to offer services in e-commerce, fintech, digital content and communications to more than 1.2 billion members around the world. The Rakuten Group has over 17,000 employees, and operations in 30 countries and regions. For more information visit https://global.rakuten.com/corp/ .
We create the technology to connect the world. We develop and deliver the industry's only end-to-end portfolio of network equipment, software, services and licensing that is available globally. Our customers include communications service providers whose combined networks support 5.7 billion subscriptions, as well as enterprises in the private and public sector that use our network portfolio to increase productivity and enrich lives.
Through our research teams, including the world-renowned Nokia Bell Labs, we are leading the world to adopt end-to-end 5G networks that are faster, more secure and capable of revolutionizing lives, economies and societies. Nokia adheres to the highest ethical business standards as we create technology with social purpose, quality and integrity.
Phone: +358 10 448 4900