Nokia showcases Coherent Routing solution for efficient application-optimized IP-optical networks
- Nokia will unveil the industry’s first fully deployable Coherent Routing solution at the OFC conference in San Diego, USA
- Solution supports fully managed IP-optical integration for 400 Gigabit Ethernet (400GE) IP networks today, and is future-proofed for 800GE
3 March 2022
Espoo, Finland – Nokia today announced it will showcase Coherent Routing, the industry’s most comprehensive IP-optical solution at the Optical Fiber Communications (OFC) conference being held in San Diego, California from 6-10 March.
The demo will highlight the ability of IP routers to connect directly over coherent wavelengths and enable end-to-end and efficient packet transport. Coherent Routing solutions are available across Nokia’s router portfolio to support all network applications.
Coherent Routing integrates a range of pluggable Wavelength Division Multiplexing (WDM) coherent router optics, application-optimized optical line systems, and cross-domain IP and optical management coordination and automation in a complete, flexible solution. Coherent Routing provides an important upgrade to Nokia’s service routers based on FP4 and FP5 silicon, designed with the market-leading capability to support coherent optics at scale and full density.
The solution enables network operators to efficiently scale their access, metro and regional IP networks for any application and topology. Single-hop IP express links allow IP access and aggregation routers to directly and efficiently connect with edge and core routers, data centers, and internet peering points over dedicated wavelengths. This approach makes optimal use of IP network capacity and interface resources, while maximizing network flexibility and resiliency.
Kyle Hollasch, Lead Analyst, Optical and Packet Transport Hardware at Cignal AI, said: “With the advent of pluggable router-based digital coherent optics, IP-over-DWDM promises to dramatically alter the economics of metro networks. However, adoption beyond point-to-point metro DCI will be limited until it also addresses the wide variety of applications and topologies in service provider networks. Nokia's Coherent Routing solution does just that with a complete portfolio of routers, optics, line systems and management tools that give network operators everything they need to implement IP-over-DWDM in varied and complex environments.”
Vach Kompella, Vice President, IP Networks Division at Nokia, said: “Nokia’s Coherent Routing is a best-in-class solution including routers, pluggable coherent optics, optical line systems and end-to-end management. Building on our proven leadership in IP routing, we’re proud to unveil an operational solution which supports 400GE IP networks today, while providing future-proof extension to 800GE.”
Nokia at OFC 2022
Nokia will demonstrate Coherent Routing at the 2022 OFC conference, San Diego, California, 6-10 March 2022.
- A live demo of the operationizable Coherent Routing solution will be on display at the Nokia booth (#4139) in the exhibits hall, showing Nokia 7750 SR-s routers connected by 400Gb/s pluggable coherent optics (400ZR/ZR+) over a Nokia 1830 PSI-L open optical line system and managed by Nokia’s Network Services Platform (NSP) for service automation
- Aref Chowdhury, CTO and Head of Strategy, Network Infrastructure IP and Optical at Nokia, will discuss Nokia’s vision for Coherent Routing at the Optical Executive Forum on Monday, 7 March
- Nokia’s Jeff Valley, VP IP Consulting Engineering, will discuss Coherent Routing along with other key industry speakers at the MarketWatch session titled, “Building the Ecosystem for Converged IP/Optical Networks - Beyond 400G pluggables,” on Tuesday, 8 March
- Web page: Coherent Routing
- ebook: Coherent Routing for 400GE and beyond
- Web page: IP and optical network automation
At Nokia, we create technology that helps the world act together.
As a trusted partner for critical networks, we are committed to innovation and technology leadership across mobile, fixed and cloud networks. We create value with intellectual property and long-term research, led by the award-winning Nokia Bell Labs.
Adhering to the highest standards of integrity and security, we help build the capabilities needed for a more productive, sustainable and inclusive world.