- 3G and 2G networks to be modernized across Karbala, Najaf and Basra, with a special focus on the holy cities of Karbala and Najaf, to support increasing demand for voice and data traffic
- Nokia's Mass Event Handler solution will allow Zain Iraq to effectively address voice and mobile broadband requirements during Zeyara
- Modernization will allow Zain subscribers to enjoy superior customer experience with improved broadband speed and coverage
11 October 2017
Baghdad, Iraq - Nokia will modernize and expand Zain Iraq's radio networks with its most advanced technologies across Karbala, Najaf and Basra, with a special focus on the holy cities of Karbala and Najaf, to support the expected increase in data and voice traffic during Zeyara* as millions of people converge on the region. Once completed, the upgrade will allow users to enjoy improved indoor and outdoor coverage in both urban and rural areas as well as increased data throughput, leading to an overall superior customer experience.
Nokia's project management and proven services expertise will be used to expand and modernize Zain Iraq's 2G and 3G network, providing ubiquitous coverage and faster mobile broadband.
Additionally, the Nokia Mass Event Handler will be deployed to address the surge in data and voice consumption expected during Zeyara. The network modernization will allow visitors to remain continuously connected with their loved ones through superior voice and data connectivity during Al Arba'een and beyond.
Ali Al-Zahid, Chief Executive Officer of Zain Iraq, said: "Our top priority is to provide superior services for our subscribers. This network modernization and expansion is only the beginning of providing the best possible service quality and coverage with the most advanced technologies across the overall Karbala and Najaf and rest of sourthern region. We selected Nokia, our longstanding technology partner, for this important project, as we are confident that its advanced technologies will enable our network to provide such superior services. The current project will also enable a best-in-class mobile experience for visitors to Zeyara when we expect a high turnout this year."
Bernard Najm, head of the Middle East Market Unit at Nokia, said: "Nokia fully understands Zain Iraq's requirements and is committed to providing leading technologies to enable pioneering services for its subscribers. Nokia's solutions cater to the unique connectivity requirements of mass events, and will help Zain Iraq address the expected surge in data and voice consumption during Zeyara."
Overview of the solutions:
- The high capacity and energy-efficient Nokia Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station will be used to add the third carrier of 5 MHz on the 900 MHz band, to enhance capacity and increase coverage in suburban and rural areas.
- Nokia's Mass Event Handler will ensure network performance is not adversely affected because of heavy traffic during Zeyara. Another feature of the software - HSUPA Interference Cancellation - handles data more efficiently, enabling end users to upload pictures without any network glitch.
- Nokia FlexiZone will be deployed to enhance coverage and capacity of the existing 3G network in Karbala.
- Nokia's refarming service will refarm GSM 900 MHz frequency to expand the operator's 3G network.
- Nokia's NetAct virtualized network management software will provide robust capabilities for troubleshooting, assurance, administration, software management and configuration.
- Whitepaper: High Capacity Mobile Broadband For Mass Events
- Web page: Nokia Small Cells
- Web page: Nokia Flexi Zone
Connect with Nokia
- Subscribe to receive information on specific areas of interest
We create the technology to connect the world. Powered by the research and innovation of Nokia Bell Labs, we serve communications service providers, governments, large enterprises and consumers, with the industry's most complete, end-to-end portfolio of products, services and licensing.
From the enabling infrastructure for 5G and the Internet of Things, to emerging applications in virtual reality and digital health, we are shaping the future of technology to transform the human experience. nokia.com
Nokia Media Relations
Phone: +971 529 823 406
Phone: +358 (0) 10 448 4900
*Zeyara is an annual event in the holy city of Karbala, which culminates in the event of Al Arba'een. It attracts visitors from across the globe and is one of the world's largest public gatherings.