- Modernization increases flexibility and capacity to meet growing subscriber demands, while enabling delivery of high-definition voice and data services such as VoLTE
- Uses Nokia's network functions virtualization (NFV) applications, including Circuit Switched voice core, Subscriber Data Management and IMS
- Implementation leverages Nokia cloud wise services
11 June 2018
Doha, Qatar - Nokia and Vodafone Qatar are modernizing Vodafone Qatar's core network using Nokia virtualized applications to meet growing high-quality voice and data demands of customers living in and visiting Qatar.
The modernization of the network will provide increased capacity, scalability, flexibility and performance in the delivery of services such as high-definition Voice over LTE (VoLTE) to Vodafone Qatar's more than 1.4 million mobile subscribers.
Nokia began deployment in November 2017, leveraging its hardware, NFV applications and global services expertise. The first test call was completed in March 2018 and Nokia will complete the deployment in 2019. As part of the agreement, Nokia will provide care services for five years and managed services for 20 months.
Ramy Boctor, Chief Technology Officer, Vodafone Qatar, said: "We are working with Nokia to deploy virtualized core network capabilities that will enable us to provide world-class services. Our aim is to deliver superior customer services leveraging this 'Telco over Cloud core' network."
Deon Geyser, head of South Africa and Vodafone (SAV) Market Unit at Nokia, said: "We are pleased to continue a long-standing relationship working with Vodafone Qatar on this Telco over cloud core modernization project. With a history of proven deployments in the field, we are able to leverage our breadth of cloud core capabilities and services expertise to deliver a network that will deliver new flexibilities in the delivery of services such as VoLTE."
About the Solution
- Nokia Circuit Switched Core voice network managing 2G and 3G voice services and providing a seamless evolution to VoLTE
- Nokia Subscriber Data Management solution
- Nokia Smart Plan Suite software for policy control
- Nokia NetAct virtualized network management system
- Nokia Authentication, Authorization and Accounting software
- Nokia Cloud Signaling Director
- Nokia CloudBand NFV Management and Orchestration (MANO) software
- Press Release: Nokia and Vodafone trial cloud-based RAN architecture
- Website: Nokia Software
- Website: Nokia Data Center services
Connect with Nokia
- Subscribe to receive information on specific areas of interest
We create the technology to connect the world. Powered by the research and innovation of Nokia Bell Labs, we serve communications service providers, governments, large enterprises and consumers, with the industry's most complete, end-to-end portfolio of products, services and licensing.
We adhere to the highest ethical business standards as we create technology with social purpose, quality and integrity. Nokia is enabling the infrastructure for 5G and the Internet of Things to transform the human experience. nokia.com
Nokia Media Relations
Phone: +971 529 823 406
Phone: +358 (0) 10 448 4900