What is 5G core slicing?
5G core slicing enables with the creation of sub-slices in the core network and assures that they deliver the required throughput, latency, resource sharing level, coverage area, etc.
The core network is the anchor for 5G network slices, as it controls device subscriptions to network slices and user equipment (UE) network slice selection.
5G core slicing is complemented by adjacent capabilities in the transport and RAN network domains, as well as end-to-end, cross-domain slicing automation. Network slicing enables CSPs to provide tailored services to customers which can be rolled out quickly in support of emerging business opportunities to generate new revenues.
Why is automation essential for 5G core slicing?
Creating and operating slice-based services is a highly complex process. It’s time-consuming and error-prone, making it impractical to do this manually at scale. Creating a single slice in the core network requires hundreds of configuration management commands across thousands of managed objects.
And this is just for slice creation. Once the slice is up and running you also need to assure slice performance and assign and re-assign resources dynamically – a daunting job without automation. And once the service is no longer required, the assigned network resources for the slice need to be released.
- What is 5G core slicing?
- What is the Core Network Slice Subnet Management Function (C-NSSMF)?
- What is the Nokia Core Slice Controller solution?
- Benefits of Nokia Core Slice Controller
- Nokia Core Slice Controller proof points
- 5G slicing automation customer case study
- Related products and solutions
- Learn more about Core Slicing
What is the Core Network Slice Subnet Management Function (C-NSSMF)?
The Core Network Slice Subnet Management Function (C-NSSMF) enables automated network slicing in the 5G core, improving time-to-market, QoS and reliability through less manual work.
Why should you use C-NSSMF?
- With automated slice creation the time required to set up a single slice in the core is reduced by almost 90%, while also minimizing human errors. This is achieved by leveraging policy-based management decisions and run-time checks to verify network capabilities using a consistent and dynamic inventory.
- Leveraging correlation and root-cause analysis, automated assurance increases reliability, simplifies troubleshooting with a 90% alarm reduction and lowers the number of field dispatches by 85%.
What is the Nokia Core Slice Controller solution?
The Nokia Core Slice Controller solution provides the C-NSSMF capability for 5G core deployments. Its automated slice lifecycle management capabilities are designed for multi-vendor, multi-cloud and multi-edge environments, relying on standards-based open interfaces and SDKs.
At the same time, the solution comes pre-integrated and pre-validated with Nokia Digital Operations Center (CSMF/NSMF), Nokia MantaRay NM (C-NFMF), Nokia Cloud Operations Manager (NFVO) and Nokia 5G Core.
Core Slice Controller modules
- Nokia Orchestration Center offers orchestration capabilities to enable rapid design and deployment of slices, significantly reducing time-to-value.
- Nokia Assurance Center provides AIOps capabilities, enabling proactive assurance of slices in runtime to meet KPIs and to drive down costs.
- Unified Inventory provides discovery, reconciliation and ongoing synchronization of network and service assets in near real-time, closing the loop between orchestration and assurance processes.
- The Domain Adaptation layer provides an abstracted view of the network domain, hiding the underlying complexity.
Nokia’s CSMF, NSMF, R-NSSMF and C-NSSMF capabilities can be delivered as a single solution that supports all four functions. They can be deployed together or added one by one.
What are the benefits of using Nokia Core Slice Controller for 5G core slicing?
Single pane of glass for slice operation
- Cloud-native software for automated slice lifecycle management
- 3GPP-based slice orchestration, inventory management and AIOps-driven autonomous assurance
- Use case agnostic solution supporting all slice types with off-the-shelf templates and workflows
Modular solution for lower TCO
- Easy to start with one slice management function (e.g., orchestration) and introduce complete lifecycle management later (e.g., adding assurance for closed-loop operations)
- Ability to easily add further use cases like end-to-end slicing, other domain-specific NSSMF or orchestration/assurance functionalities reduces TCO by leveraging a common platform
Designed for multi-vendor environments
- Run-time integration with multi-vendor NSMF and NFMF
- Flexible SDKs for customization and non-standard integration
- Pre-integrated with Nokia Digital Operations Center as NSMF
- Pre-integrated with Nokia 5G Core through MantaRay NM (NFMF) and Nokia Cloud Operations Manager (NFVO)
- Roadmap alignment with Nokia 5G Core
Nokia Core Slice Controller proof points
Nokia uniquely combines extensive knowledge of 5G networks and network slicing with service and network operation know-how.
5G slicing automation customer case study
A CSP in North America required fully automated end-to-end slice management capabilities for its multi-vendor network.
5G slice management requirements
- Support for different use cases such as temporary shared slice for events and private 5G eMBB slice service for enterprise customers
- Multi-operator core network with shared RAN
- Short project timeline in full multi-vendor environment
Nokia’s slicing automation solution
- End-to-end slice orchestration (CSMF & NSMF), plus RAN slicing and Core slicing (R-NSSMF, C-NSSMF)
- Slice assurance with closed-loop automation
- Integration with enterprise marketplace for automated order processing
- Using public cloud for faster deployment on a readily available flexible infrastructure
Outcome using Nokia's solution
- Fast implementation due to compliance with industry standards, extensive library of network adapters and cloud deployment
- Simplified closed-loop automation due to single design for both orchestration and assurance
- Fully automated slice implementation: from the customer order submitted via the self-service enterprise portal to slice instantiation across multi-vendor cloud, core and transport domains
Related products and solutions
Digital Operations Center
End-to-end closed-loop operations for autonomous networks
RAN Slice Controller
RAN Slice Controller automates 5G RAN slicing lifecycle management and assures 5G slice performance
Cloud Operations Manager
Automate hybrid cloud lifecycle operations
Learn more about network automation and slicing
Learn how AI and graph databases transform telecom inventory solutions
Nokia Core Talk: 5G Standalone Core on Cloud, insights with Telefónica Germany
Core Networks - 2023 and beyond
Nokia Core TV series #32: 5G Core network slicing
6 Dec 2023
stc selects Nokia Orchestration software to deliver 5G slicing and strengthen monetization efforts
15 Jun 2023
Nokia introduces on-demand network slicing to boost customer experience
12 Dec 2022
Nokia deploys Orchestration Center software for Telstra to drive enhanced automation and customer experience
31 Oct 2022
Nokia and Nedaa to explore innovative 5G network slicing for smart city and public safety use
18 Oct 2022
Nokia launches AI Maturity Assessment to support communication service providers with AI strategy, adoption
9 Sep 2022
Nokia and Telia Finland launch world’s first commercial 5G SA network with network slicing for Fixed Wireless Access
2 Aug 2021
Orange and Nokia deploy the first Industry 4.0 4G/5G private network with network slicing in French factory
18 May 2021
Nokia to help transform PLDT and Smart’s nationwide network and standardize virtualization environment
20 Jan 2021
Nokia and Mobily pilot world’s first 4G and 5G Fixed Wireless Access network slicing
10 Dec 2020
Nokia’s Digital Operations Center software wins Fierce Innovation Award
29 Jul 2020
ÖBB, A1 Austria and Nokia are piloting network slicing in the existing A1 network
Please complete the form below.
The form is loading, please wait...