Mission-critical WAN for power utilities
Build a converged network that supports all your critical applications
Nokia Mission-critical WAN for Power Utilities lets you build a secure, reliable, and modern communications network that enables grid automation, control and monitoring. It provides the network components and expertise you need to:
- Enable TDM migration while preserving the integrity of traditional SCADA and teleprotection systems
- Support new Ethernet- and IP-based protection, SCADA, and video surveillance applications
- Extend IEC 61850 networking from beyond substations to WAN and FAN
- Launch smart grid applications more easily and integrate renewables
Our solution helps you transition to a utility-grade converged IP/MPLS and packet optical network that’s ready for growing Ethernet and IP application traffic, digital substations, and evolving with IEC 61850 and cloud. It gives you the flexibility to carry IP/MPLS services over an optical or packet microwave transmission layer, as well as LTE access or satellite link. And it supports traditional TDM and new IP/Ethernet traffic with the high availability and stringent quality of service (QoS) required for applications such as teleprotection and differential protection.
Get full value from your communications infrastructure
- Run multiple applications over a common network infrastructure
- Consume bandwidth dynamically and efficiently with application-specific hierarchical quality of service (HQoS)
- Reduce operating costs by consolidating your networks and simplifying maintenance processes
Preserve the integrity legacy critcal
- Deploy hardened, reliable communications network equipment designed to operate in utility environment mission-critical networks
- Ensure predictable network performance with MPLS traffic engineering
- Assure throughput and availability for critical applications, including protection
Roll out smart grid applications faster
- Support smart grid programs with network infrastructure that delivers field-proven scalability, reliability and security
- Streamline the introduction of new technology with a superior IP/MPLS service and network management system
- Ease integration of IP/MPLS/Ethernet services with optical and microwave transmission
- Support TDM migration with no disruption
Solution features and benefits
Succeed with a complete WAN solution
Realize the benefits of an adaptive grid communications network. With our IP/MPLS network for utilities, you can support all traffic types and use one management system for all your IP/MPLS, fiber and microwave network assets. Additionally, your can extend the grid communications seamlessly into your data centers.
Support teleprotection over IP/MPLS and microwave
Teleprotection is your most mission-critical and time-sensitive application. Our field-proven solution delivers teleprotection over IP/MPLS and packet microwave radio.
Transport SCADA over IP/MPLS
Our solution lets you upgrade your network to IP/MPLS while supporting legacy SCADA systems without compromise. It allows you to reliably transport SCADA traffic so you can monitor, analyze, control, and maintain your power grid.
Secure your network and data
Utility networks are becoming targets for attacks and cybercrime. Our solution lets you secure your network and data against threats while adhering to regulatory requirements.
Validation of current differential protection
Successful Validation of Hitless Failover using Active/Active IP/MPLS Paths with Siemens Line Differential Protection
Successful validation of consistent and reliable IP/MPLS communications for line differential protection by Schneider Electric
Successful validation of reliable and secure IP/MPLS communications for current differential protection by University of Strathclyde Engineering
Burns & McDonnell Test report 9500 MPR Validation for Electric Utilities
Transform your network and prepare for growth with high-throughput, high-density access and aggregation routers
Maximize spectrum utilization while reducing the TCO of microwave networks.
Learn more about mission-critical WAN for power utilities
- RTE partners with Nokia to transform operational telecom network
- SA Power Networks deploys IP/MPLS Video
- Modernizing grid communications in the heart of South America
- Achieving greater reliability and sustainability in the grid
- Transpower, New Zealand: Providing modern grid communications for New Zealand’s National Electricity Grid
- Creos Luxembourg saves time and money with IP/MPLS network
- Tata Power-DDL builds next-gen smart grid communications network
Talk to our experts
Our team is at your service, with subject-matter specialists ready to discuss your specific needs and help you take your business to the next level.