Nokia NextGen Tech Scholarship Program
The NextGen Tech scholarship program, offered in Canada, focuses on underrepresented groups and is designed to strengthen R&D capacity over time. The program is jointly sponsored by Nokia Cloud and Network Services and Network Infrastructure.
Hello, dreamers, doers and disrupters
Welcome to the era of digital transformation. Industry 4.0 driven by 5G technology changes everything. What will it take to power this massive shift to the new digital economy? People. People with passion, knowledge and skills creating technology no one has even thought of yet. People like you.
We're sponsoring a unique scholarship program to help you pay your bills while you're learning to code, build artificial intelligence, work in the cloud, and develop world class hardware and software. When you're done, we'll offer you a full-time job at a competitive rate.
Do we have your attention? Read on
We’re on a mission to find and keep bright minds, innovative thinking and those who thrive in a culture that puts people first, embraces diversity, and invests in ongoing education and learning. We invite you to tell us who you are, share your dreams, and put yourself in the ring for a scholarship that will pay $7,500 a year for two years. After all, who doesn't need a little extra cash to get by while you hone your skills?
Oh Canada! The digital economy has grown almost twice as fast as the overall economy, expecting to employ over two million people by 2023. We know you'll be one of them. Why not work with a global company that invests in their people?
We're looking for software developers, computer and data scientists, DevOps, computer and electrical engineers, cybersecurity analysts and pretty well any skill that drives the new economy. We have an eye on strengthening diversity in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) careers for underrepresented groups.
Heard enough? Don't be shy. Go ahead and strut your stuff. Let's get to know each other.
So, what’s the deal?
The Nokia NextGen Tech Scholarship is open to all R&D students in Canada
- Nokia will contribute up to CAD $15,000 total over two years toward tuition expenses per student.
- On graduation, scholarship recipients will be offered a competitively paid full-time R&D position at our Ottawa campus.
Who can apply?
Meet the following criteria and you're on your way. Oh, the places you'll go!
- You’ve worked for Nokia as an intern, co-op, or summer student
- You are a full-time undergraduate student in years two, three, or four, or a graduate student at an accredited university or college in Canada
- Computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or a closely related STEM discipline must be your main area of study
- Your academic record is strong with a grade point average of 3.0 out of 4.0 or equivalent
- You have demonstrated proactive work in diversity and inclusion
- When you graduate, you'll come and work with us at our Ottawa campus for at least two years in a competitively paid R&D position
- One more thing. You must be eligible to work in Canada.
Ready to apply? Let's do it!
- Please fill in the questionnaire linked below to confirm whether you are eligible for this scholarship.
- Eligible scholars will receive detailed instructions on what documents are needed in order to proceed with the application. The deadline for submission is Friday, September 10, 2021.
- Applicants under consideration will be invited for a panel discussion with Nokia managers and Human resources in September and October 2021.
- The final selected candidates will be notified during Fall 2021. All other candidates will be notified of the status of their application in due course.
What it's like for newbies to work with Nokia
We set you up for success. You'll be welcome with open arms to a great job with Cloud and Network Services or Network Infrastructure Nokia Software where we work with the latest technology creating the infrastructure that powers the world’s most critical networks.
At Nokia, you're part of our global family, connecting with like-minded people around the world, growing your network and building your professional muscle in a great cultural environment. We work hard but offer flexible ways to balance your work and your life, including options for working from home.
We invest in your education and development. You'll be part of a community that works hard to help you constantly improve your skills and there's always room at the table to exercise your creativity.
We believe in inclusion and diversity. We encourage you to get out meet people by becoming a mentor for a Future Tech (high school) intern, represent us at community events and engage with the Ottawa Campus Experience team to drive inclusive initiatives in our workplace.
If this sounds like your dream job, we'd sure like to meet you!
Learn more about Nokia
Wondering about life at Nokia?
Our employees represent around 166 nationalities doing work in over 118 countries. We take our commitment to diversity and inclusion seriously. Nokia continues to break the glass ceiling with a strong score in its Gender Equality Index (GEI) for 2021. In 2019, we closed an unexplained pay gap. We signed the Inclusion and Diversity (I&D) pledge of the European Round Table of Industrialists (ERT). Our offices are accessible. Our leadership is diverse and advocates for global anti-discrimination practices. We were awarded “Best Places to Work for LGBT+ Equality” by Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2021 Corporate Equality Index with a score of 100%.
That's not all. Fresh thinking flourishes here. Beyond the traditional definition of diversity and inclusion, we actively seek diversity of thought that can only come by working with people from different backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences.
1) How do I apply for the NextGen Tech Scholarship?
It’s easy! There is an online application with specific instructions. Please fill it out before September 10, 2021. To be considered, you must meet the eligibility criteria. Finalists will be interviewed by a diverse panel including Nokia managers and Human Resources Business Partners in September and October. Scholarship recipients will be notified in the fall. Recipients are selected based on the overall strength of their application material compared to the applicant pool.
2) When will I know whether I’m a finalist or not?
If you get a call from us in September asking for an interview, you’re in. Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) What if I don’t make the cut? Will I hear back from Nokia?
Yes, all candidates will be notified of their application status in the fall of 2021.
4) How can I find out more about Nokia before applying?
Take a tour of our Nokia Careers webpage. Have a look at the current jobs available to get an idea of what your future job could be (https://www.nokia.com/about-us/careers/)! Find out how we create technology to connect the world at nokia.com. Visit us on LinkedIn and check out Life at Nokia. Follow us on Twitter.
5) What happens if I’m selected for the scholarship?
We’ll ask you to sign an agreement with us detailing the conditions for you to receive the scholarship funds.
6) When will I get the scholarship? Will it be paid to me directly or to my university/other?
If selected, you will receive the funds paid directly to your bank account when we receive all your documents.
7) What support will I get from Nokia if I am selected?
As part of the Nokia family, we’ll make sure that you get maximum visibility and opportunities to connect and network within Nokia and learn more about the company through mentoring and customized training. You’ll benefit from a development curriculum tailored to your profile and we’ll invite you to get involved in different projects as a diversity champion!
8) Will I get a full-time job offer after my studies?
Oh, yes. We anticipate being able to offer you a full-time job based on your solid performance over the duration of your scholarship at the end of your studies. Nokia retains the right to hire scholarship recipients into full-time roles at its sole and absolute discretion.
9) Do I get to choose what type of job will be offered?
We‘ll make sure you have an overview of the different job opportunities available at the time of your graduation and networking opportunities with different hiring managers to find the opportunity that suits you best. Our goal is helping you find a job that fits your potential.
10) What type of compensation offer can I expect when I graduate?
We will offer you a competitive package including salary, benefits (insurance, volunteering initiatives and a great number of holidays!) along with a sign-on bonus aligned with market practices. There are great perks about working for Nokia.
At Nokia, we understand the diverse needs of our workforce. Each of us is at a different stage in life and has different family and financial needs. That’s why Nokia provides a benefits program that gives you the flexibility to choose the options that are right for you and your family. Our program includes health, dental, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, a retirement savings program and vacation days.
11) What if I can’t start working for Nokia right after my studies or can’t finish my studies as planned?
We want to extend full-time job offers prior to graduation and bring you onboard as soon as possible, but if there are specific circumstances to consider, we’ll evaluate case by case.