Stock Exchange Release
25 January 2023 at 14:00 EET
Nokia appoints Esa Niinimäki as Chief Legal Officer and member of the Group Leadership Team
Espoo, Finland – Nokia today announced the appointment of Esa Niinimäki as Chief Legal Officer and member of the Group Leadership Team, effective January 25, 2023.
Esa has worked at Nokia for more than 15 years where he has held multiple positions, most recently Interim Chief Legal Officer. Prior to this role he was Vice President, Deputy Chief Legal Officer and Board Secretary where he defined strong governance practices for Nokia. Esa also served as General Counsel of Nokia’s global services business group, Head of Corporate Legal of NSN and Senior Legal Counsel, Legal and IP, for the IMEA region. Before joining Nokia Esa worked as Group Legal Counsel for Metsä Group and as an associate lawyer at White & Case LLP.
“I am delighted to announce the appointment of Esa Niinimäki as Chief Legal Officer. He is a deeply experienced leader who has been an influential contributor to Nokia’s strategy. He has earned the trust and respect of the Group Leadership Team and Board of Directors. Esa has a strong vision for Nokia’s legal function and will ensure it continues to be a strategic partner to the business,” said Pekka Lundmark, President and Chief Executive Officer at Nokia.
“Nokia has a strong ethics culture with compliance as a key value, uniting the efforts of the business and legal teams. I am honored to lead this best-in-class legal and compliance function and be member of the Group Leadership Team as the company continues its strategic transformation,” commented Esa Niinimäki.
Esa continues to be based in Finland and report to Nokia’s President and Chief Executive Officer, Pekka Lundmark.
Additional background information on all current members of the Group Leadership Team can be found at: www.nokia.com/en_int/investors/corporate-governance/group-leadership-team.
About Esa Niinimäki
- Master of Laws, Fordham University – School of Law, New York, 2003
- Master’s Degree in Law, University of Helsinki, Faculty of Law, 2001
- Interim Chief Legal Officer 2022-
- Deputy Chief Legal Officer, Corporate, and Board Secretary 2018-
- General Counsel, Global Services 2015-2018
- Head of Corporate Legal, Nokia Solutions and Networks, Head of Finance & Labor Legal 2013-2015
- Senior Legal Counsel, Legal and IP, India, Middle East and Africa, 2012-2013
- (Senior) Legal Counsel, Corporate Legal, 2007-2011
- Group Legal Counsel, 2005-2007
White & Case LLP
- Associate Lawyer 2003-2005
- Market Practice Board of Securities Market Association
- Advisory Board of the Finnish Listed Companies
- Legal Affairs Committee of the Confederation of Finnish Industries
- Policy Committee of the Directors’ Institute of Finland
At Nokia, we create technology that helps the world act together.
As a trusted partner for critical networks, we are committed to innovation and technology leadership across mobile, fixed and cloud networks. We create value with intellectual property and long-term research, led by the award-winning Nokia Bell Labs.
Adhering to high standards of integrity and security, we help build the capabilities needed for a more productive, sustainable and inclusive world.
Phone: +358 10 448 4900
Maria Vaismaa, Global Head of Public Relations
Phone: +358 40 803 4080