Automated capacity analysis
Helping a Brazilian operator manage radio bottlenecks more efficiently
- Time-consuming and labor-intensive network planning and optimization tasks
- Different processes and methodologies used, hampering consistent quality
- Reliant on the expertise of individual engineers Used by Nokia NPO team to optimize the performance of a 3G network
- Automatic 3G capacity analysis through Nokia AVA (based on CM and PM reports from NetAct)
- Qlik dashboard displays worst cells analysis together with parameter settings and KPI information for easy correlation and troubleshooting (Descriptive analytics)
- Identifies areas suffering throughput saturation, and selects most appropriate mean of capacity expansion (Diagnostic analytics)
- Forecasts when cells will become congested due to traffic increases (Predictive analytics)
Outcome & benefits:
- Faster identification of capacity issues on the air interface.
- Significant effort reduction (up to 86%) due to automation of manual analysis - analysis is now performed automatically across the entire network
- Improved accessibility after parameter optimization (e.g. from 98.5 > 99% for one RNC)
- Enables standardization of analysis process
- Better justification for spectrum refarming by quantifying the impact on air interface capacity, overall more strategic approach to capacity planning and smart CAPEX investments - e.g. targeting small cell deployment in areas where traffic is really heavy but only when it is critical to offload the macro
- Analogy can be comparison between X-Ray and MRI scan!