Cloud Mobile Gateway
Get the flexibility, scale, and performance you need for enhanced broadband, uRLLC and 5G services on any cloud.
The Nokia Cloud Mobile Gateway performs gateway and related functions within the Packet Core Network. It is built to address the growth of enhanced mobile broadband and deliver new uRLLC connections, Internet of Things (IoT), machine-type communications (MTC), and 5G services.
With the Cloud Mobile Gateway, you get the flexibility, scale, capacity, and performance you need to support more users, devices, and services over licensed, unlicensed, or shared wireless and fixed access.
Cloud-native design brings simplicity, speed and agility to our solutions. It provides lean operations with significant reduction of processing capacity needs and delivers a new level of automation based on Kubernetes.
Our cloud-native software design supports control/user plane separation (CUPS) architecture, software disaggregation, and state-efficient processing. It also provides a common data layer that improves resource utilization for network functions virtualization (NFV) and lowers total cost of ownership (TCO).
Mobile gateway functions supported by Cloud Mobile Gateway:
- Serving Gateway (SGW)
- Packet Data Network Gateway/Gateway GPRS Support Node (PGW/GGSN)
- Home Agent (HA) for 3GPP2 cellular access
- User Plane Forwarding Function (UPF)
- Network Function Repository Function (NRF)
- Network Slice Selection Function (NSSF)
- Non-3GPP Interworking Function (N3IWF)
- Evolved Packet Data Gateway (ePDG) for non-3GPP (Wi-Fi) untrusted access
- Trusted Wireless Access Gateway (TWAG) for non-3GPP (Wi-Fi) trusted access
- Subscriber Services Gateway (SSG):
- Enhanced Traffic Detection Function (TDF) and application awareness for value-added, high-touch services
- Hybrid Access Gateway (HAG) for converged service delivery across wireless and fixed access
Deployment flexibility: any cloud
The Cloud Mobile Gateway can also be implemented on pre-integrated and modular server-based appliances or cloud-native virtualized network functions (CNFs). It can also be combined with our industry leading PNF mobile gateways to deliver high packet processing and user plane forwarding performance for high-speed services.
All the Cloud Mobile Gateway deployment options share a common network management system with the Nokia packet core functions. This allows you to right-size your deployment to address diverse service requirements and economics.
The Cloud Mobile Gateway enables the evolution to a 5G Core by supporting both non-standalone and standalone deployment options and a services-based architecture. It allows you to allocate network resources to a specific service type or enterprise through dedicated core and network slicing capabilities.
Benefits and features of Cloud Mobile Gateway
Improved resource efficiency
- Supports CUPS architecture, which allows for independent scaling of control or user plane resources to meet individual service requirements
- With a state-efficient design that dramatically increases subscriber and device connectivity
- Maximizes resource utilization and reduces network signaling by using a common data layer to store session state information
Increased flexibility and reduced network complexity
- Disaggregates software into modular components to enable independent scaling and placement that eliminates stranded or underutilized resources
- Supports centralized and distributed architectures for increased deployment flexibility and optimal resource placement
- Reduces network complexity by providing a common software base that supports a broad range of mobile gateway functions and access types
Reduced network operational costs
- Simplifies network engineering and planning by combining multiple mobile gateway functions into a single instance
- Reduces operation and maintenance (OAM) costs with simplified IT and data center operations, including a common element and network management system (EMS/NMS)
- Can be deployed within third-party virtualized network environments and NFV infrastructures
Advanced network reliability and redundancy
- Delivers field-proven reliability with a range of configurable resiliency models
- Uses cloud-based protection schemes to improve network resource efficiency and ensure high network availability
- Provides a geo-redundant configuration option to support additional network resiliency
Faster time to market
- Enables rapid deployment of mobile gateways that are correctly sized for the service and service provider
- Dynamically adjusts capacity when and where it's needed through automation and cloud lifecycle management
- Supports tailoring of new services for targeted customers with the SSG function
The cloud mobile challenges facing service providers
Three requirements for a clear 5G evolution path for CSPs:
CSPs are on their way to 5G. They need a clear evolution path and a solution that enables:
- Extreme performance for investment optimization: Nokia software’s unique design optimizes the hardware resources use, ensuring services delivery such as URLLC.
- Multi access (2G/3G/4G/5G) and fixed for improved services offer: Nokia CMG can receive connections from both wireless and fixed equipment, simplifying the network.
- Any cloud flexibility to explore new business opportunities: openness is an important driver for Nokia’s solutions. CSP’s need the flexibility to build their network according to their needs, using an architecture that will allow implementation and monetization of any new service.
Why choose Nokia’s Cloud Mobility Gateway?
CMG is designed from the start for cloud-native requirements, which avoids legacy software’s challenges when moving to cloud. The CMG is stateless, implements CNF life cycle management operations (installing, healing, scale-in, scale-out, etc.) with ease, and uses central DevOps/DelOps aspects for integration, delivery and image storage. The CMG software integrates several open source services and is decomposed into several modules, providing flexible deployment options.
Multi generation and multi-access
The solution can be used as EPC or 5G, enabling a clear evolution path to 5G, multi generation access (2G/3G/4G/5G) and fixed, what simplifies the operation and provides the foundation for multiple new services.
Extreme high-performance and uRLLC
Nokia solution was built using vFP (Virtual Forwarding Path) as a foundation, what optimized the use of vCPU and prevent bottlenecks. High performance and optimization enables the delivery of uRLLC, foundation for many services enabled by 5G.
Any cloud architecture and network scalability
CMG is proven on any cloud architecture: on-premises, edge, regional central private, hybrid and public. This will meet any deployment requirement CSP may need.
Related solutions and products
Cloud Mobility Manager
Leverage cloud-native design to boost performance and scalability
Nokia Policy Controller
Scale your Policy Control Function for 4G and 5G with the Nokia Policy Controller
Cloud network services
Prepare for disruption and deploy with confidence
Learn more about cloud
Why Ethernet over FWA means business
5G cloud-native core
Five key actions to transform your operations to seize 5G opportunities
Four ways you can reinvent how you create and deliver revenue-winning services
Six ways the cloud packet core makes 5G real
Data strategies for the 5g era
Evolving with confidence to 5G network
Main 5G priorities: Innovation, Innovation and innovation
23 Feb 2023
Nokia’s 5G Core selected to support Comcast’s mobile connectivity efforts #MWC23
12 Jan 2023
Nokia Core Networks portfolio in full compliance with all GSMA security requirements
6 Jun 2022
Nokia 5G Standalone Core selected by LMT to deliver advanced 5G services in Latvia
16 Mar 2021
Nokia accelerates Telenet cloud services with 5G core deal
11 Jan 2021
Nokia to accelerate Tele2’s digitalization with distributed cloud core
21 Oct 2020