A 5G smart factory is only as intelligent as the network that connects it
Mobilize your manufacturing operations to maximize your business output.
Industry 4.0 and 5G factory automation are bringing incredible opportunities to the manufacturing sector. In a 2022 survey of more than 1,000 manufacturers by ABI Research and Nokia, 90% are considering 4G/5G private wireless technologies to improve the flexibility and agility of their operations. The days of inflexible, immovable, locked-in linear production lines and inaccurate asset tracking are over.
A 5G smart factory optimizes…everything
In the 5G smart factory, people and machines work safely together to increase productivity, improve efficiency and produce goods in a way that achieves carbon neutrality objectives.
With the right smart manufacturing network and expertise, your plant operation and business goals become a reality. Your smart manufacturing network provides a reliable, secure and high-capacity foundation that supports all aspects of your digital transformation.
Nokia provides high performance, easy-fit industrial-grade private wireless solutions and applications combined with proven expertise to help your 5G smart factory:
- Optimize performance and productivity and lower the costs of your manufacturing operations. Nokia high-performance network solutions, platforms and intelligent business applications help you speed processes, lower operational costs and improve visibility and quality.
- Securely adapt to meet changing customer demands and business needs. Leverage secure, scalable 4.9G and 5G private wireless networks for a more flexible manufacturing environment that helps you dynamically adjust your operations and processes to meet your business needs while protecting your data and intellectual property (IP).
- Realize the benefits of your digital transformation journey. Nokia manufacturing networking solutions provide the capacities, throughput and connectivity needed to support new levels of automation and flexibility while bringing you knowledge, technical experience and support to ensure your 5G smart manufacturing objectives are met.
A 5G private wireless network is the foundation for your smart manufacturing goals
To achieve your smart manufacturing goals, start with a reliable, secure and scalable 5G private wireless network. Now you have a manufacturing networking foundation that:
- Increases capacity to further automate and improve quality and productivity
- Delivers the uptime and performance you need with easy to deploy, end-to-end solutions
- Keeps your workforce and environment healthy and safe
- Meets your short-to-medium term key performance indicators (KPIs) while increasing the long-term value of your modernized operations
How will 5G factory automation revolutionize the smart factory?
5G factory automation use cases span every aspect of manufacturing operations, from production to logistics, warehousing and offices:
- Mobile and collaborative robots that safely accelerate production
- Industrial IoT (IIoT) applications that monitor processes to reduce the risk of equipment failures
- Automated parts tracking, purchasing and warehousing monitoring that accelerates logistics
- Automated cleaning machines and smart building applications that lower costs
Explore more on the manufacturer journey to Industry 4.0
The Manufacturer’s Digital Journey: Digitalizing the Present
Building a smart and safe connected factory
Digitalize and automate your 5G smart factory with confidence
Deploy plug and play manufacturing networking solutions for your 5G smart factory without disrupting your operations:
- Combine IIoT and analytics to enhance automation and gain new insights into your smart manufacturing operations
- Improve Operational Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) with enhanced predictive maintenance capabilities
- Increase visibility with IT network management and tool sets
- Build your smart manufacturing 5G network with best in class connected factory solutions and proven innovation expertise
Listen, watch and read how you can digitalize your connected factory
The Manufacturer’s Digital Journey: Crawl, Walk, RunUsing digital twins and factory automation for flexible, optimized operations
Building Smart Factory with 5G
Omron discusses smart factory proof of concept use cases implemented with a Nokia 5G network
Modernize, de-risk and future-proof your business
Manufacturers can benefit today from 5G smart factory solutions and advanced applications to accelerate IIoT adoption and Industry 4.0 transformation.
- Realize your vision for 5G in the manufacturing industry with pervasive, high performance connectivity
- Support digital twin capabilities for the ultimate agile operation
- Build a competitive business advantage with flexible, adaptable operations
Discover the conscious factory of the future. See what smart manufacturing transformation looks like
The Manufacturer’s Digital Journey: The Digitally Transformed FutureHow 5G and Wi-Fi 6 work together to support connected factory solutions
The conscious factory of the futureRead how a 5G manufacturing industry leader uses 5G in their digital transformation journey
Nokia Oulu factory tour
The connected, smart factory of the future is here. Visit the Nokia Oulu factory, a World Economic Forum Lighthouse 5G factory of the future.
What does 5G bring to manufacturing networking?
With 5G manufacturing networking, you have the high-bandwidth connectivity needed to untether your factory floor and add new levels of automation like never before so you can achieve the “unlimited experience”.
- 5G provides the massive scalability needed to connect all of your people and critical applications - on and off the factory floor.
- 5G provides the ultra reliability and security to support even your most critical applications and infrastructure.
With 5G massive machine communications, you can support all of your smart factory devices with greater control and longer battery life now, and into the future.
5G complements 4.9G capabilities to support even more smart manufacturing capabilities and use cases.
How does data improve with 5G for manufacturing?
- Collect, connect and see: 5G allows you to connect more things to collect more data and get greater insights into your operation. The more you know, the more you can optimize.
- Analyze and understand: The higher capacities of 5G help you to connect both high and low bandwidth assets like sensors, CCTV and visual inspection.
- Predict and process for better decision making: Local processing of data speeds analysis and enables real-time decision-making.
- Automate and control: Control your physical assets digitally. Form virtual representations like Digital Twins with more accurate information. Test new strategies and implement them with the touch of a button.
What’s the best network architecture for a 5G smart factory?
The Nokia Bell Labs architecture for industries provides the ideal foundation for a 5G smart factory. It harnesses technologies such as IIoT, edge computing, cloud, artificial intelligence, machine learning, augmented and virtual reality, and high-performance networking – including 5G/5G Advanced – to drive dramatic productivity improvements across your operations.
With the Bell Labs architecture for smart manufacturing, you can combine intelligent networking with digital technologies to support innovative applications and make your Industry 4.0 vision a reality:
- Connect robots, sensors, tracking systems, smart tools and automated guided vehicles (AGVs) with the highest security and reliability
- Get the high-performance and ultra-low latencies you need for video analytics, AGV navigation and immediate robot responses
- Increase network capacity to address any need, from digital twinning to augmented reality, on-floor video and security systems
- Use insights about assets, processes, environments and workers to boost efficiency and productivity
- Create value with platforms that apply analytics, sensor and device management, digital twins and machine learning to any manufacturing application
Nokia Bell Labs architecture for industries: The foundation for digitalization
Discover our smart manufacturing solutions
We offer smart manufacturing solutions that support your digital transformation.
- Industrial-grade Private Wireless
Private Wireless Power your digital transformation with a private 4.9G or 5G network
Build private LTE networks that enhance your operations, fuel innovation and expand your global footprint
- IP Networks
Routers purpose-built for anyhaul, fixed–mobile convergence and mission-critical applications
- Digital Automation Cloud (DAC)
Industrial private wireless network platform and applications
- Optical LAN
Save money, go green and boost the performance of your organization with a long-term fiber network
- OnGo (CBRS)
Take advantage of available shared CBRS spectrum in the US with a comprehensive neutral host private LTE solution
Digital value platforms
- IMPACT IoT platform
Unlock competitive growth with new services and applications for the Internet of Things
- IMPACT Device Manager
Reduce costs, speed time to market and enhance the customer experience with our industry-leading device management solution
- Worldwide IoT Network Grid (WING) as a service
Quickly turn up and grow your IoT network with a managed service for communications service providers and enterprises
- MX Industrial Edge
Accelerate digitalization for mission-critical industrial OT
- Virtualized Security Services
Software-defined adaptive security for securing hybrid cloud, data center and branch locations
- SD-WAN 2.0 for Enterprise Networks
Drive your multi-cloud strategy and empower your IT with flexibility, scale
Sustainability: How Nokia solutions can help you achieve your climate goals
We are committed to helping deliver a cleaner and more connected world. In 2017 we were among the first 100 companies in the world to commit to reducing our emissions in line with the landmark Paris climate agreement.
- Our science-based climate targets are being recalibrated with the latest 1.5°C warming scenario.
- We delivered zero emission products to over 150 customers globally.
- We are exploring how to reduce single-use plastics and have a circular practices and products program in place.
- 5G technologies will help make human activities more efficient and more environmentally friendly for the planet.
Learn more about Nokia’s sustainability approach.
Nokia and Flex to combine 5G SA private wireless and Industry 4.0 expertise for advanced manufacturing solutions in Brazil
Nokia and Mobile Industrial Robots (MiR) showcase real-time robot fleet management using private 5G wireless at LogiMat, Germany
Nokia private wireless selected to enhance Alibaba Cloud’s enterprise edge cloud capabilities to speed up its customers’ digital transformation
Nokia, NS Solutions to build, operate and maintain 5G private wireless network at OMRON's Automation Center Kusatsu
Arçelik selects Nokia, Türk Telekom in strategic deal for Turkey’s first 5G-ready private wireless network
British Sugar and Virgin Media O2 Business launch first multi-site private mobile network
Nokia and OIV Digital Signals and Networks to deliver first 5G SA industrial private wireless campus network in Croatia for AD Plastik
Nokia deploys 5G private wireless network for Volkswagen’s pilot project in Germany
Bosch puts first 5G campus network into operation
Nokia to deploy 5G SA private wireless networking for KUKA, Germany
Nokia selected by TOYOTA Production Engineering for 5G private wireless network
Why companies across industries are deploying private 5G wireless networks
Hannover Messe 2021: Industrial 5G becoming a reality
The auto retail service experience gets a major upgrade with Industry 4.0 and 5G
Industry 4.0 innovation thrives on collaboration: Advancing the 5G smart factory at ARENA2036
How a near-miss forklift accident is helping architect the future of industrial communications
Nokia Smart Manufacturing Summit reveals key digitalization concerns from manufacturers
Please complete the form below.
The form is loading, please wait...