Boost operational efficiency and service resiliency in multi-layer networks
Integrate your IP routing and optical transport networks into a unified infrastructure with Nokia technology. Optimize your network resources, operations, costs and performance to better compete in an on-demand world. You’ll like the benefits of one network as nimble as the cloud.
Establish a converged multi-layer network infrastructure with unified control and open, software-defined networking (SDN) interfaces. Leverage our state-of-the-art routing and optical transport technologies.
The benefits of IP-optical coordination
Build a nimbler network
Break down the operational and technological barriers that impede routing and transport convergence.
Ensure high network availability for a flawless user experience
- Automatically discover accurate topology at all layers and cross domain interconnect information to allow effective engineering planning.
- Ensure that true path diversity is present via deep insights into the optical network architecture.
- Coordinate control of activities such as restoration and network maintenance to prevent unwarranted impacts to end user traffic.
Improve your operational efficiency and service delivery velocity
- Leverage insightful tools to allow bottom-up and top-down navigation and visualization across domains and layers.
- Efficiently identify root causes of service affecting issues without complex inter-team dynamics.
- Automate dynamic comprehensive service delivery across domain boundaries with open and programmable network interfaces.
Optimize your usage of routing and transport assets
- Forward and protect traffic at the most economical network layer.
- Run a hotter network without compromising reliability with cross-domain coordinated floating backup ports.
- Deploy pluggable coherent router optics to deliver, assure and maintain high speed services rapidly and cost effectively in the 400G era and beyond.
IP-optical coordination use cases
400GE pluggable coherent optics automation
Efficiently deploy high speed connectivity
The introduction of powerful new 400GE coherent router optics technology requires new capabilities for orchestrating and automating IP-optical networks. NSP supports a set of 400GE IP-optical reference use cases that constitute solution blueprints for real-world deployments.
Application note: 400GE IP-optical coordination and automation
Automated detection of the multi-layer topology
NSP can automatically and accurately detect topologies at all layers and gather cross-layer connect information to verify the network architecture is correct. Compared with error-prone manual techniques this can reduce the probability of service outages and enable simpler troubleshooting.
Use case brief: Discover multilayer topology automatically
Assess true comprehensive path diversity
While path diversity is needed for IP links or for IP services, paths may not be fully diverse in the optical domain. A failure could impact both primary & backup paths. NSP performs real time diversity analysis and can establish diverse paths as necessary. This can help reduce the probability of service outages.
Use case brief: Path diversity for network resiliency
Rapidly troubleshoot network and service issues
NSP delivers the ability to rapidly identify root causes of alarm conditions and coordinate resolution activities across teams. Operators have the ability to navigate bottom-up and top-down in holistically supervising network operation. This brings efficiencies to multi-layer network operations.
Coordinated operations control
Minimize the effects of optical topology changes on IP traffic
Planned changes in optical topology, such as those that occur during network maintenance and hitless optical reversion can be coordinated with IP traffic routing to minimize impacts on end user services bringing improved customer satisfaction.
Cost-effective multi-layer protection
Cross-domain coordination to save on network equipment
The NSP enables cross-domain coordinated protection, intelligently and efficiently applied at the appropriate layer. Using a ‘floating’ backup port can bring considerable savings in the number of interfaces (router ports and transponders) required.
Cross-domain connection management
Interworking with 3rd-party domain controllers
The NSP supports automated connection management based on standard protocols and interworking with 3rd party domain controllers. This reduces the need for complex and expensive OSS systems with long integration intervals and manual, error-prone processes. This can allow faster service delivery and operational cost savings.
Why Nokia for an integrated IP-optical infrastructure?
Automate dynamic comprehensive service delivery across domain boundaries with open and programmable network interfaces.
Our networking portfolio encompasses the data plane, control plane and management plane. You can flexibly mix and match according to your deployment and operational needs. We can help you to optimize the value of each technology, rationalize costs, and reduce your total cost of ownership.
Average saving of port capacity with multi-layer packet and optical protection
Potential reduction in network TCO based on optimal resource utilization & operational efficiency
Network automation and programmability
Looking to transform your operational practices with automated workflows? Quickly get up to speed on programmability? Deploy dynamic networks that can respond to changing demand with minimal human intervention?
Our insight-driven networking approach lets you automate your IP and optical networks to make them more agile, reliable and secure. Discover our comprehensive solutions.
Our developer portal gets you started by providing documented APIs, code snippets, tutorials, virtual labs and more. Join our community of world-class innovators and programmers.
Related products and solutions
- IP/optical networking 2.0: what it is and why we need it
- Computing a path to more profits with Bell Labs self-tuned adaptive routing
- Playlist from the SReXperts user conference 2019
- IP/optical control integration with GMPLS UNI
- Nokia IP routing
- Nokia optical networking video playlist
- Nokia Carrier SDN and IP/optical Management