Accelerating green transition via edge intelligence
As modern networks continue to evolve towards 5G and the Internet of Things (IoT), there is an essential need to manage very rapidly increasing data transfer and network capacity requirements to provide low latency services and increase capacity in a sustainable way. According to IDC (2021), the global data creation and replication will experience a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 23% over the 2020-2025 forecast period. At the same, it is expected that the estimated growth of data increases energy consumption on data management and transport that equals to annual production of 50 nuclear power plants.
Edge computing and edge intelligence are considered an essential element in 5G networks. They both represent a key enabling factor for future sustainable digital infrastructure and networks. For example, optimization of workloads can significantly reduce energy consumption related to data transport.
In addition, modern edge capabilities such as architectural innovations, platforms and intelligent automation help service provisioning, computation, and communications to become efficient, green, and sustainable in several different ways including:
- Edge intelligence can contribute to optimize data usage and reduce the amount of data needing to traverse the network, leading to a reduction of energy consumption and carbon emissions. For example, optimization of workloads will significantly reduce energy consumption related to data transport and decrease a need for physical transport (less CO2).
- Applications enriched by new edge capabilities can satisfy user needs through a more sustainable use of environmental resources enabling reduction of energy consumption and carbon emissions.
- Based on predictions performed by Edge intelligence algorithms, data and computation can be brought closer to the sites where green energy is available (i.e. optimal use of green energy). This also create new ways to continuously develop cyber security and data privacy aspects.
In order to response these global challenges, Nokia was selected as a winner in Business Finland’s ‘Veturi’ challenge competition. Nokia’s Veturi program mission is built on the following three pillars, which together strengthen Finland’s role on research and development:
- Sustainability and competitiveness: edge computing can significantly improve energy efficiency, data security, and privacy on the digital infrastructure. Cloud computing is transforming the telecoms landscape, offering Communications Service Providers (CSPs) flexibility, lower overall costs and high service availability to meet the growing demands on networks, sustainability, new applications and data by consumers and enterprises. It will also open up significant business opportunities for the new edge application developers.
- Network scalability and operability: Edge computing enable massively distributed, automated, cloud-native and secured basis across geographically diverse locations making latency-sensitive applications and digital services sustainable and energy efficient.
- Solution Focus: Co-innovation and co-development among CSPs, webscalers and network technology companies is essential to create edge-based global solutions that enable sustainable and automated data transfer across future digital infrastructure for consumers and enterprises in every industry. With well-created ecosystem initiatives, effective sectoral integration of core competences and with a common roadmap in Finland we have a unique global position to grow new global multi-billion level businesses.
Together with the large number of ecosystem partners, we will create a significant impact on R&D investments in Finland during the coming years. It will strongly support the governmental target to reach the increase R&D expenses to four percent of GDP. Finland has strong expertise in many fields of ICT, sustainability, energy efficiency and digital solutions and Nokia has a strong ambition to create a strong ecosystem in Finland on edge capabilities enabling strong global growth for companies and increasing investments in Finland.
This program will strengthen the position of Finnish edge ecosystem in global markets and create sustainable competitive edge for Finnish ecosystem and platform to develop new innovative solutions and we look forward to collaborate with a large number of ecosystem partners and with Business Finland in our new Veturi program.