Utility broadband services for
Architect and deploy all the elements your utility needs to become a broadband service provider
Nokia utility broadband services can give your utility everything you need to provide telecommunications services to your community.
We offer services tailored to address your unique requirements and business needs. Our focus is on enabling you to bring utility broadband services to market quickly without operational risk to your existing business. With our help, you can take advantage of your pervasive fiber infrastructure to provide capabilities such as:
- Triple-play services—broadband internet, video and voice—in areas underserved by commercial broadband carriers
- Middle mile services that help accelerate the introduction of broadband in underserved areas
- Smart city and open access provider services.
Take advantage of our proven expertise to deploy utility broadband services that will enable you to:
- Support new business models that diversify your revenue sources
- Get extra value from your market presence and assets
- Support the development of your local community
- Generate new revenues to help fund your core activities.
Ensure success with a trusted utility broadband services partner
We have a wealth of experience in helping utilities work through three critical steps to become successful telcos.
- Our business consultants can work with you to establish the baseline of the new business. This includes a financial analysis and an assessment of the regulatory environment.
- We help you choose the best commercial model and take an active role in designing your network, processes and systems.
- We help you complete the process by delivering a turnkey solution and providing ongoing operational support.
- Assessment of the market opportunity, regulatory environment, competitive landscape, early prospects and anchor customers
- Modeling of the business case, including cash flow projections
- Preparation of material for presentation to potential investors (internal to the utility or external).
Service and network design
- Design of architecture that covers the network, management systems and network operations center (NOC)
- Design of business and operational processes.
- Management of the complete delivery cycle, from the first element of the architecture, to the final handover to operations
- Assurance that the process is performed on time, on budget, to agreed requirements and with appropriate quality
- End-to-end responsibility vested in a single program manager
- Includes any elements from third parties, such as buried cable and OPGW.
Network delivery and commissioning
- Site acquisition (where necessary)
- Site preparation
- Installation and commissioning of all equipment
- Integration from sub-systems up to complete solution, including operational processes
- Culminates in operational readiness testing.
- Full training of utility staff to ensure readiness for go-live
- Possibility of using a Nokia shared NOC to provide a fully managed service
- Possibility of providing local maintenance capability (depending on geography)
- Full back-office support.
Unlock additional revenue
- Deliver wholesale or retail telecommunications services
- Leverage your market presence and existing assets to develop new revenue sources
- Meet latent demand from consumers, businesses and other telcos for more economic access.
Enable smart grid projects
- Reduce CAPEX and OPEX by reusing telc assets throughout the network for smart grid applications
- Leverage utility broadband revenues to fund smart grid innovations.
Support community economic development and improve quality of life
- Attract new businesses with reliable energy and broadband services
- Enable local businesses to compete on a global level
- Improve consumer access to broadband internet, distance learning, telecommuting, telemedicine and entertainment.
Improve power delivery and quality
- Take advantage of a highly reliable communications network to support smart grid applications
- Reduce the frequency and duration of electricity outages through smart grid applications
- Use your network to engage with customers in energy management and improve power grid efficiency
- Get the connectivity you need to implement automation throughout the grid.
Related solutions and products
Core Enterprise Solutions for power utilities
Core Enterprise Solutions for power utilities
Cybersecurity for power utilities
Keep mission-critical grid communications safe from cyber threats
Field Area Network for power utilities
Enable new business models by extending the reach of grid communications with LTE, IP/MPLS and FTTx
Middle-mile optical transport
Bring fast internet service to rural areas with a high-capacity utility broadband transport network
Mission-critical WAN for power utilities
Build a converged network for IEC 61850 and other critical applications
Private Wireless solution for power generation plants
Industrial-grade connectivity for the future of power generation
Learn more about services for power utilities
Eskom and Nokia: Experience and collaboration make the difference
OG&E’s smart grid revolutionizes network control using Nokia’s multi-tiered IP/MPLS communications network
Xcel Energy enhances grid operations with Nokia's private LTE to ensure reliable and secure communications
Transpower enhances its telecommunication network implementing Nokia's solution to ensure optimal management
Say goodbye to power outages by taking IEC 61850 wireless
Industry 4.0 adoption will lag without a strong connectivity foundation
REN: Modernizing power transmission networks for the digital era