Nokia 5G Core’s cloud-native architecture can be deployed on public cloud and hybrid cloud, giving you all the freedom and flexibility your business demands.
With our any cloud solutions, Communication Service Providers (CSPs) can actively source the vendors they choose for the services they need. This creates an ideal environment for development of new and profitable services, including edge cloud for enterprise plus hyperscaler partnerships.
Our 5G Core on public and hybrid cloud enable you to redefine the game.
What can be the 5G cloud?
5G and its cloud-native architecture is being deployed faster than any previous mobile generation, bringing new consumer experiences and helping enterprises shift to Industry 4.0, including edge cloud partnerships for enterprises.
To realize these capabilities, yesterday’s monolithic, static core must become a 5G standalone core that is disaggregated and dynamic. Deploying the cloud-native 5G standalone core (5GC) on multicloud opens broader ecosystem innovation, enables continuous software updates and allows rapid scaling for on-demand responsiveness – all supported by greater resiliency and security.
Some CSPs are deploying their core networks on a hyperscaler’s public cloud or hybrid cloud. In addition to leveraging a hyperscaler’s cloud infrastructure, CSPs can benefit from the hyperscaler’s analytics, automation and ecosystem innovation.
Our cloud-native architecture is deployable onto Nokia Container Services, RedHat OpenShift and VMware Tanzu, or directly onto Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and Microsoft Azure.
What is a public cloud used for? What is a hybrid cloud used for?
CSPs can deploy their network on a hyperscaler’s public or hybrid cloud. However, it must be designed for performance and scale of real-time applications, including at the edge. CSPs can use any cloud to address their business imperatives:
- Automating lifecycle management, for operations that are more responsive & less expensive
- Partnering with hyperscalers to pursue new business with edge cloud, analytics, enterprises & industries
- Launching new applications & services, right now, while later optimizing traffic and costs
- Serving a new customer, who has an uncertain trajectory, bypassing private cloud’s CapEx with public cloud’s OpEx
What is a public and private cloud?
Our cloud-native 5G standalone core is deployable on public and private cloud, or hybrid cloud. It prepares you for the journey to Network as a Service (NaaS). We enable this by applying seven key design principles:
Cloud-native foundation: apply hyperscaler technology to telco networks & operations.
Build a service intent network: orchestration designed into slicing and agile vertical services.
Put security first in the design of applications: detailed risk assessment and disciplined design.
Multi-vendor continuous delivery: enabling ongoing seamless upgrades with CI/CD.
Openness of networks and ecosystems: apply strong, uniform APIs for a programmable and open 5G.
Flexibility to use any cloud platform: design for performance and scale of real-time applications.
Design for lifecycle inter-dependencies: automate highly complex lifecycle management across cloud platforms.
Our customers’ cloud-native hyperscaler deployments
CSPs are deploying our cloud-native 5G core onto public cloud and hybrid cloud. Watch the video to see how it is done. Read about these two customers’ deployments.
Nokia and DISH deployed first 5G Standalone Core network in the public cloud with AWS
We deployed our 5G Standalone Core (5G SA Core) on AWS to enable automation required to meet DISH’s evolving customer needs, allowing DISH to support new enterprise and consumer 5G use cases quickly, securely, and across any cloud stacks at end customer premises. Nokia 5G SA Core on AWS allows DISH to offer the responsiveness, flexibility and efficiency that is needed to create innovative new services for its customers, while leveraging automation for ongoing operations and unlocking crucial capabilities, such as network slicing.
Nokia accelerates Telenet cloud services with 5G core deal
The innovative 5G cloud-native architecture leverages near-zero touch automation to provide flexible scale performance capabilities, which empowers Telenet to develop its own telco cloud infrastructure with much less complexity – a first step in its transformation towards cloud-based services. The 5G core is integrated on the Google Cloud infrastructure layer based on Google Cloud’s Anthos for more seamless implementation of innovations and quicker response times to market needs.
5G security on public cloud and hybrid cloud
5G’s cloud deployment change how network security, data protection, and privacy must be addressed. Due to 5G architecture complexity as well as specialized protocols and interfaces used in the communications industry, protecting against security threats is well beyond the capabilities of traditional IT security vendors.
Nokia takes the security built into our products seriously. Our 5G Core is designed for privacy and security, with layered protection based on defense-in-depth design and zero-trust principles and tested against 5G-specific use cases. CSPs get full control to secure their 5G services, thanks to the pervasive and automated security management built into our design practices, 5G core software, and dedicated NetGuard security solutions.
Learn more about 5G core on public cloud and hybrid cloud
Case studies and customer testimonials
- (case study) DISH Wireless 5G Standalone Core deployed in AWS's Cloud
- (testimonial) Telenet Belgium deploy Nokia 5G SA Core on Google Cloud
- How CSPs are leveraging the public cloud
- A journey to 5G and Network-as-a-Service (NaaS): seven degrees of freedom
- Navigating 5G standalone core on cloud: private, public or hybrid?
- Microsoft and Nokia collaborate to accelerate digital transformation and Industry 4.0 for communications service providers and enterprises
- Nokia and DISH to deploy first 5G standalone core network in the public cloud with AWS
- Nokia accelerates Telenet cloud services with 5G core deal
- Google Cloud, Nokia partner to accelerate cloud-native 5G readiness for communication service providers
- Nokia cloud-native software platform available on Amazon Web Services
- 5G Core Security
- Core on any cloud
- Nokia Core Talk: How did they do it? DISH, Nokia and the world’s first 5G on AWS’s cloud
- Technical demo: Nokia 5G Core automated deployment on any cloud
- Technical demo: Nokia 5G Core deployed on AWS EKS public cloud
- Technical demo: Nokia 5G Core deployed on Google Anthos
- Telenet Belgium, Google Anthos & Nokia deploy 5G Standalone Core
- Podcast: Beyond cloud-native, with Jitin Bhandari