Cloud Mobility Manager
Leverage cloud-native design to boost performance and scalability
Nokia Cloud Mobility Manager is a key control plane element of the Nokia Cloud Packet Core network solution, designed to deliver extreme high-performance, scalability and flexibility.
A key control plane element of the Nokia Cloud Packet Core solution, built to support the growth of mobile and enterprise services, the scalability and varied service requirements of the Internet of Things, as well as the evolution to 5G.
What is Cloud Mobility Manager?
The Nokia Cloud Mobility Manager (CMM) is a control plane function in 3GPP packet networks that provides the Access and Mobility Management Function (AMF) in 5G networks, the Mobility Management Entity (MME) function in 4G networks as virtualized evolved packet core, and the Serving GRPS Support Node (SGSN) function in 2G/3G networks.
The CMM delivers the performance, scalability, flexibility and high availability, for small enterprise deployments to large consumer networks and meet growing network signaling loads for consumer mobile (2G/3G/4G/5G), fixed and Internet of Things/Machine Type Communications (IoT/MTC) services.
Cloud-native design brings simplicity, speed and agility to our solutions. It provides lean operations with significant reduction of processing capacity needs and delivers a new level of network automation based on Kubernetes. The CMM uses cloud-native and field-proven application software to ensure feature and service consistency with physical, virtual, container and appliance-based products:
Three cloud-native applications of CMM:
- Deployed as a virtual network function (VNF) on standard x86 computing hardware using OpenStack KVM or VMware vCloud operating environments
- Deployed as a cloud-native network function (CNF) on Linux open-source containers with Kubernetes using RedHat OpenShift or as container deployment in a virtual machine (VM) environment
- Deployed as an appliance that provides an alternative for customers who have not deployed any virtualized environment.
Benefits and features of Cloud Mobility Manager
High network performance
The CMM’s cloud-native design ensures performance and scalability for a broad range of application requirements and delivers excellent control and data plane performance for both VNF and CNF deployments:
- Multi-threaded processing and a native 64-bit operating system (OS)
- VNF single root I/O virtualization (SR-IOV), Intel data plane development kit (DPDK) for OpenStack deployments and Open vSwitch (OVS) VMXNET 3.0 for VMware deployments
- CNF applications run on Linux without requiring any additional custom acceleration capabilities
Reliability and resiliency within IT/cloud environments
The CMM leverages its field-proven, carrier-class software to provide reliability and resiliency within IT/cloud environments:
- Intra-VNF redundancy protection schemes (1+1, n+, 2n)
- Fault monitoring and recovery with overload control protection
- Geo-redundant configurations
- Intra- and intersystem load balancing
- 3GPP network pooling capabilities.
Common core management
The CMM is managed by the Nokia Network Services Platform (NSP) together with Nokia NetAct providing a single, consolidated view of the network:
- NSP provides the Fault, Configuration, Accounting, Performance and Security (FCAPS) management capabilities for the CMM as well as the Nokia Cloud Packet Core and transport networks
- An NSP VNF supervision application module provides network function virtualization (NFV) orchestration, management, monitoring and supervision that also gives customers complete flexibility to select their NFV cloud networking vendor of choice
- Both physical and virtual packet core networks managed from the same NSP user interface
- ONAP capabilities including system and statistical information for northbound analytic applications, performance monitoring (PM) and real-time PM streaming data for ONAP data collection analytics and events (DCAE)
The challenges facing service providers
Cloud implementation, cost optimizations and new business monetization
CSPs are on their way to 5G. They need a clear evolution path and a solution that enables:
- Extreme performance for investment optimization: Nokia software’s unique design optimizes the hardware resources use, ensuring services delivery such as URLLC
- Multi access (2G/3G/4G/5G) and fixed for improved services offer: Nokia CMG can receive connections from both wireless and fixed equipment, simplifying the network.
- Any cloud flexibility to explore new business opportunities: openness is an important driver for Nokia’s solutions. CSP’s need the flexibility to build their network according to their needs, using an architecture that will allow implementation and monetization of any new service.
Why choose Nokia’s Cloud Mobility Manager?
CMM is designed from the start for cloud-native requirements, which avoids legacy software’s challenges when moving to cloud. The CMM is stateless, implements VNF life cycle management operations (installing, healing, scale-in, scale-out, etc.) with relative ease, and uses central DevOps aspects for integration, delivery and image storage. The CMM software integrates several open source services and is decomposed into several modules, providing flexible deployment options.
Multi generation and multi-access
The solution can be used as EPC or 5G, enabling a clear evolution path to 5G, multi generation access (2G/3G/4G/5G) and fixed, what simplifies the operation and provides the foundation for multiple new services.
The Nokia solution was built using vFP (Virtual Forwarding Path) as a foundation, which optimized the use of vCPU and prevent bottlenecks.
Related solutions and products
Cloud Mobile Gateway
Get the flexibility, scale, and performance you need for enhanced broadband, uRLLC and 5G services on any cloud
Nokia Policy Controller
Scale your Policy Control Function for 4G and 5G with the Nokia Policy Controller
Cloud network services
Prepare for disruption and deploy with confidence
Learn more about Cloud
Cloud Central Office leverage software-defined access networks for open innovation
Automation of scale out process to improve efficiency
Embracing telecom’s future of cloud-native agility
Cloud readiness for critical infrastructure: Insights from the IEEE International Workshop CQR
Please complete the form below.
The form is loading, please wait...